Huskers in the NFL Art

In Week 13 of the NFL season, 21 former Huskers were active on NFL rosters, two were on injured reserve, one was on a practice squad and one was suspended. Here are the standout performances from this weekend. 

Rex Burkhead, New England Patriots

Running back Rex Burkhead had three rushes for 15 yards and also played on special teams for the Patriots in their 28-22 loss to the Houston Texans on Sunday Night Football. 

Next up for New England is a home game against the Kansas City Chiefs. 

Prince Amukamara, Chicago Bears

Cornerback Prince Amukamara had five tackles and one pass defended in the Bears’ 24-20 win over the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving Day.

Next up for the Bears is a home game against the Cowboys as they desperately try to keep their playoff hopes alive. 

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Linebacker Lavonte David recorded seven tackles and one pass defended in the Buccaneers’ 28-11 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Buccaneer defense was so suffocating that the Jaguars opted to bench Nick Foles in favor of mustachioed folk-hero Gardner Minshew after Foles had three first-half turnovers. 

Next up for Tampa Bay is a home game against the Indianapolis Colts. 

Luke Gifford, Dallas Cowboys

A newcomer to the Huskers in the NFL standouts, linebacker Luke Gifford had two tackles and contributed on special teams for the Cowboys in their 26-15 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Thanksgiving Day. 

Next up for Dallas is an away game against Chicago, as it looks to keep a slim lead over the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC East. 

Ndamukong Suh, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had two tackles in the Buccaneers’ 28-11 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Suh anchors the number two rush defense in the league, which surrenders only 76 yards per game. On Sunday the Buccaneers held Leonard Fournette and the Jaguars offense to only 49 rushing yards. 

Nathan Gerry, Philadelphia Eagles

Linebacker Nathan Gerry had four tackles in the Eagles’ 37-31 loss to the Miami Dolphins. 

Next up for Philadelphia is a divisional matchup against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football. 

Sam Koch, Baltimore Ravens

After only having two punts in the previous three games, punter Sam Koch had two punts for 103 yards, pinning both inside the 20-yard line, with a long of 62 yards, in the Ravens’ 20-17 win over the San Francisco 49ers. After this win and the Patriots’ loss to the Texans, the Ravens are now in first place in the AFC. 

The Ravens will put their eight-game winning streak on the line when they visit the Buffalo Bills. 

Bill Callahan, Washington Redskins

Washington interim head coach Bill Callahan led the Redskins to a 29-21 victory over the Carolina Panthers. After defeating the Detroit Lions 19-16 last week, Washington has now won back-to-back football games for the first time since October of 2018, when it won three straight games. 

Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals

After starting the season 0-11, head coach Zac Taylor helped the Bengals to their first win of the season, a 22-6 victory over the New York Jets. This was their worst start to a season in franchise history, the previous being the 1993 team, which started 0-10. 

Next up for Cincinnati is an away game against division rival Cleveland Browns.