Huskers in the NFL Art

In Week 14 of the NFL season, 21 former Huskers were active on NFL rosters, two were on injured reserve, one was on a practice squad and one was suspended. Here are the standout performances from this weekend. 

Brett Maher, Dallas Cowboys

Kicker Brett Maher went one for two on field goals and a perfect three for three on extra points in the Cowboys’ 31-24 loss to the Chicago Bears on Thursday, Dec. 5.

However, Maher, who leads the league with 10 missed field goal attempts this season, was cut by Dallas on Monday. In two seasons with the Cowboys, Maher went 49 for 66 (74.2%) on field goal attempts and 68 for 69 (98.6%) on extra points. His replacement, veteran Kai Forbath, was cut by the New England Patriots last week.

Next up for the Cowboys is a home game against the Los Angeles Rams, as they look to keep their slim one-game lead over the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC East. The Cowboys have a 68% chance to make the playoffs and win their division, according to the New York Times’ article “NFL Playoff Picture: Every Team’s Playoff Chances.”

Sam Koch, Baltimore Ravens

Punter Sam Koch had seven punts for 309 yards, with an average of 44.1 yards per punt, pinning two inside the 20-yard line and a long of 57 yards in the Ravens’ 24-17 win over the Buffalo Bills on Dec. 8. Prior to this game, the most punts Koch had in a game this season was three, which happened on five separate occasions. Koch has punted 31 times this season, with an average of 46.2 yards per punt. 

Next up for Baltimore is a home game against the Jets. The Ravens now have a 95% chance to clinch the No. 1 seed in the AFC and win the AFC North. The Ravens have never finished as the first seed in the AFC, and, the last time they won the AFC North, they went on to win Super Bowl XLVII against the San Francisco 49ers in 2012. 

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Linebacker Lavonte David had six tackles and one quarterback hit in the Buccaneers’ 38-35 win over the Indianapolis Colts. The Buccaneers now have a season-best, three-game winning streak. 

Next up for the Buccaneers is an away game against the Detroit Lions, as they look to extend their winning streak to four games, which would be their first four-plus-game winning streak since 2016. The Buccaneers now have less than a 1% chance to make the playoffs.

Will Compton, Oakland Raiders

Linebacker Will Compton had three tackles in the Raiders’ 42-21 loss to the Tennessee Titans. After starting the year with a 6-4 record, the Raiders have now lost three straight games. 

Next up for Oakland is a crucial home game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, as the Raiders have only a 1% chance to make the playoffs and less than a 1% chance to win their division. Even if the Raiders win out, they will still need teams in front of them in the wild card race to lose. 

Ndamukong Suh, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had one tackle and one quarterback hit in the Buccaneers’ 38-35 win over the Indianapolis Colts.