Huskers In The NFL Photo

In Week 8 of the NFL season, 18 former Huskers were active on NFL rosters, three were on injured reserve, two were on the practice squad and one was suspended. This week, the Huskers in the NFL midseason MVP will also be awarded. Here are the standout performances from this weekend. 

Rex Burkhead, New England Patriots

Running back Rex Burkhead had three carries for four yards, one reception for nine yards and contributed on special teams in the Patriots’ 27-13 win over the Cleveland Browns. Burkhead was limited in his return from a foot injury that forced him to miss the last three games, and he only played on 13 offensive snaps for New England — just 19% of its plays. He did play on 16 of the Patriots’ 32 special teams plays. 

Next up for the Patriots is an away game against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday Night Football. Burkhead should see more offensive action after his first full week of practice for the first time since September.  

Nathan Gerry, Philadelphia Eagles

Linebacker Nathan Gerry had six tackles, one sack and one quarterback hit in the Eagles’ dominant 31-13 win over the Buffalo Bills, which were limited to just 253 yards of total offense. In eight games this year, Gerry has totaled 30 tackles, two quarterback hits, one sack, two passes defended and two interceptions. 

Next up for the Eagles is a home game against the struggling Chicago Bears, as Philadelphia looks to keep pace with the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC East. 

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Linebacker Lavonte David had a team-best 12 tackles and one pass defended in the Buccaneers’ 27-23 loss to the Tennessee Titans. With a seven-game total of 53 tackles, 4 quarterback hits, 3 passes defended and one interception, David is the Huskers in the NFL midseason MVP. With numbers this season that match the best of his career, it is possible that David could be selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2015 if he continues to produce at this clip. 

Next up for Tampa Bay is an away game against the Seattle Seahawks. With a 2-5 record, the Buccaneers need to win this game to stay alive in the crowded NFC Wild Card race. 

Ndamukong Suh, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had one tackle in the Buccaneers’ 27-23 loss to the Tennessee Titans. Suh anchors the league’s best run defense in Tampa Bay, which allows only 68.6 yards per game. They lead the league in run defense despite already facing Alvin Kamara, the 49ers backfield, Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey (twice) and Todd Gurley. 

Prince Amukamara, Chicago Bears

Cornerback Prince Amukamara had two tackles and one pass defended in the Bears’ 17-16 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. This was the Bears’ third straight loss of the season after starting out the year 3-1. However, it’s not for a lack of defense, as the Bears rank seventh in the league in total defense. In seven games this season, Amukamara has compiled 27 tackles, six passes defended, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Next week the Bears host the Eagles, as Chicago, which is fourth in the NFC North, scrambles to keep up with the Vikings, Lions and Packers.