Huskers in the NFL Art

In week five of the 2019 NFL Season, 19 former Huskers were active on NFL rosters with three on injured reserve, one on the practice squad and one suspended. Here are the best performances from those active players in week five.

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Linebacker Lavonte David had five tackles and one quarterback hit in the Buccaneers’ 31-24 loss to the New Orleans Saints. David now has a team-leading 35 tackles on the season. 

Next up for Tampa Bay is an NFL International Series game and a trip to London, as they play the Carolina Panthers at the brand-new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The last international game the Buccaneers played was a 24-18 loss to the Bears in 2011 at Wembley Stadium. 

Prince Amukamara, Chicago Bears

Cornerback Prince Amukamara had four tackles in the Bears’ 24-21 loss to the Oakland Raiders in London. In five games this season, Amukamara has 19 tackles, four passes defended and one forced fumble.

Next week, Chicago faces the New Orleans Saints. The Saints are still without starting quarterback Drew Brees but have been 3-0 since Teddy Bridgewater took over as the starter. Amukamara will have to deal with the Saints’ talented receiving core, which includes All-Pro wide receiver Michael Thomas. 

Nathan Gerry, Philadelphia Eagles

Strong safety Nathan Gerry received his first start of the season and had two tackles, one pass defended and one quarterback hit in the Eagles’ 31-6 thrashing of the New York Jets. He also made his second interception of the season, which he returned 51 yards for the first touchdown of his career. 

Next up for Philadelphia is a visit to Minnesota as both teams try to stay afloat in the playoff race and improve on their 3-2 records. This is the first matchup between these teams since the 2018 NFC Championship game, which Philadelphia won 38-7 to advance to Super Bowl LII.

Maliek Collins, Dallas Cowboys

Defensive tackle Maliek Collins had one tackle and two quarterback hits in the Cowboys’ 34-24 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Through five games this season, Collins has two sacks, four tackles and five quarterback hits. 

Next week, Dallas will look to avoid its third-straight loss after starting the season 3-0 when the Cowboys visit the New York Jets. 

Sam Koch, Baltimore Ravens

Punter Sam Koch had three punts for 155 yards, with a long of 57 yards in the Ravens’ 26-23 overtime win against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Koch is averaging 48 yards on 13 punts this season, which is seventh-best in the league. 

Next up for the Ravens is a divisional game against the winless Cincinnati Bengals. 

Bill Callahan, Washington Redskins

After Washington’s 33-7 loss to the New England Patriots on Sunday, owner Dan Schneider fired head coach Jay Gruden Monday morning. Former Nebraska football head coach Bill Callahan has been named interim head coach for the Washington Redskins. 

Callahan has been with the Redskins since 2015 as the offensive line coach and was also the assistant head coach since 2017. Callahan was the head coach for Nebraska from 2004-2007 and finished with a 27-22 record during his tenure. 

Next up for Washington is a trip to Miami where they will play the winless Dolphins.