Baseball

Scott Schreiber (11) celebrates with teammates in a game against Cal Poly at Hawks Field on March 10, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska baseball snapped a four-game losing streak against the Kansas State Wildcats on Tuesday evening. Strong hitting fueled NU in a high scoring 11-9 victory. The win ends Nebraska’s largest slump this season and moves the Huskers to 15-16 on the season.

Junior left-handed pitcher Nate Fischer had a rough first inning, allowing two runs, which gave Kansas State the lead. Outfielder duo sophomore Will Brennan and freshman Dylan Watts scored, putting NU behind heading into the second inning.

In the top of the second, Nebraska tied things up 2-2, but the Wildcats struck back with a run of their own bringing the score to 3-2 in favor of Kansas State. The Huskers fought back with three runs in the top of the third inning, highlighted by a homer from sophomore outfielder Mojo Hagge. Following another run from Kansas State, NU held a 5-4 lead heading into the fourth inning.

Brennan added another run to Kansas State’s campaign, ending Fisher’s night in the bottom of the fourth inning. In 3.2 innings pitched, Fisher allowed five runs and eight hits. He was replaced by freshman right-hander Andrew Abrahamowicz, who finished off the inning strong, keeping the score at 5-5 heading into the fifth inning.

Sophomore utility player Luke Roskam hit a two-run homer to put the Huskers up 7-5 in the fifth inning. Abrahamowicz’s night ended early as he was replaced by junior utility player Mike Waldron, who got Nebraska through the bottom of the fifth with its lead intact.

Nebraska couldn’t extend its lead in the top of the sixth inning, though, and the Wildcats took advantage, scoring a run on Waldron, closing the score to 7-6 heading into the seventh.

The Huskers were again unsuccessful in extending their lead in the seventh inning, opening the door for Kansas State to take the lead. The Wildcats took advantage and scored three runs to take a 9-7 lead going into the eighth inning.

Nebraska broke free of Kansas State in the top of the eighth inning and took an 11-9 lead off of a two-run homer from junior catcher Jesse Wilkening. The Wildcats couldn’t respond, and Nebraska held a two-run lead heading into the ninth and decisive inning.

After Nebraska failed to score, senior right-handed pitcher Jake Hohensee brought the game home for the Huskers, allowing no hits and leaving one man on base as Nebraska picked up a necessary 11-9 victory. Hohensee picked up his seventh save of the season.

Freshman infielder Jaxon Hallmark recorded the first four-walk game for Nebraska since Alex Gordon in 2005.

Nebraska will look to maintain this momentum in a three-game Big Ten Conference series against the Iowa Hawkeyes. The Huskers and Hawkeyes will battle at Hawks Field on Friday, April 13, Saturday, April 14, and Sunday, April 15. The first matchup will start at 6:35 p.m. and will be streamed on BTN Plus.