s-bsbomahagamer

Luke Roskan (25) attempts to tag out a Kansas State base runner at Hawks Field on April 17, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After a 4-3 loss to Kansas State on Tuesday, Nebraska baseball hosted Omaha in a rescheduled match on Wednesday evening. The Huskers came back from a five-point deficit late in the seventh inning but ultimately couldn’t prevail, as they fell to the Mavericks 8-7.  

Omaha started off on the bases early after an RBI single to the left side from junior Grant Suponchick. Freshman Max Gamm hit to center field to bring Supponchick home, putting the Mavericks up 2-0 in the top of the first inning.

Nebraska answered back with a two-run homer from sophomore Luke Roskam to tie the game 2-2 in the bottom of the first inning.  

The Huskers defense looked impressive in the second inning. However, that quickly turned around as Omaha took control in the top of the third inning. An error, single and walk by Nebraska put Omaha back on top 3-2 in the third inning.

Nebraska struggled at the mound, issuing a second-straight walk while bases were loaded to extend Omaha’s lead 4-2 in the top of the third inning. The Huskers made five pitching changes total in the game.

Late in the bottom of the fourth inning, junior Jesse Wilkening reached the bases on a walk and advanced on a balk. The Huskers couldn’t capitalize, as Omaha’s Keil Krumwiede issued three-consecutive strikeouts to keep the score 4-2 at the end of the fourth inning.  

Nebraska’s defense picked up again in the top of the fifth inning with three strikeouts from freshman Andrew Abrahamowicz.

Junior Byron Hood took over the mound for the Huskers late in the top of the sixth inning, but the Mavericks continued to go on an offensive run. A walk, single and hit-by-pitch forced the Huskers into a loaded-base situation. Gamm hit a two-run single down right field to bring in Suponchick and junior Braden Rogers to make it a 6-2 Maverick lead.

Junior Nolan Hakel substituted for Hood, making his first appearance of the year on the mound.  Omaha capitalized on a wild pitch and a loaded base opportunity, increasing the Omaha lead 8-2 in the top of the sixth inning.   

Nebraska looked to rally in the bottom of the sixth inning as Roskam singled home freshman Max Schreiber to add a run to the scoreboard and bring the score to 8-3.

The offensive momentum continued into the bottom of the seventh inning as the Huskers scored three runs total. An RBI from Wilkening and an RBI single from junior Angelo Altavilla placed the Huskers within two as they tied the game at 8-6.  

Nebraska pulled the Omaha lead within one in the bottom of the eighth inning with an RBI single through the left side from Schreiber to cut the lead to 8-7 heading into the ninth inning.  

Despite Nebraska’s impressive comeback, junior Cal Hehnke quieted Hawks Field at the mound with three-straight strikeouts in the bottom of the ninth inning to give Omaha the win 8-7.

Nebraska will travel to Piscataway, New Jersey, to face Rutgers in a three-game series April 20-22. The first pitch of the series is set for Friday, April 20, at 1 p.m. The game can be streamed live on BTN Plus.