Sports Sig

Nebraska basketball picked up another transfer in Shamiel Stevenson after he committed Friday via Twitter. Stevenson will join the Husker basketball program for the 2019-20 season.

Stevenson, a guard/forward from Toronto, comes to Nebraska after completing his second semester at the University of Nevada. Prior to attending Nevada, Stevenson played two years for Pittsburgh.

He will have at least two years of eligibility remaining at Nebraska and will have to sit out for the fall semester of 2019.

“We are excited to add Shamiel to our program,” head coach Fred Hoiberg said. “He brings a lot of versatility and physicality to our roster. With his size, strength and wingspan, Shamiel fits in perfectly in our system with his ability to play several positions. He also possesses the toughness and maturity needed to play in the Big Ten.”

Stevenson is the fifth transfer to join the Husker program since Hoiberg was hired.

As a freshman at Pittsburgh, Stevenson played in 32 games,  averaging 8.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1 assist per game. He shot a team-high 50.5% from the field and was second on the team in rebounding. Stevenson also shot 37.5% from 3-point range as a freshman

According to a press release from the athletic department, Stevenson reached double figures 13 times as a freshman, including a career-high 19 points against Montana, when he went 7-of-10 from the field and added six rebounds and three assists.

Stevenson had seven games with ten or more points in ACC play, including 17 points against Florida State and 16 at Miami. He grabbed five or more rebounds 15 times, including a career-high nine at Virginia Tech and against Mount St. Mary’s. He played in four games in 2018-19 before transferring to Nevada, midseason. Stevenson was an academic All-ACC selection in 2018.