s-WresPurdueIndiana

Nebraska’s Peyton Robb (red) wrestles Penn State’s Bo Pipher (blue) during their 157 lbs matchup at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Friday, Jan. 24, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Husker wrestling team took a trip to the Hoosier state this weekend to take on Big Ten Conference foes Purdue and Indiana. In the first of the Huskers’ two road duals, they went up against the Purdue Boilermakers. The No. 4 Huskers easily defeated the Boilermakers 31-9 at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. 

The Huskers were dominant, winning seven of the 10 duals as they only fell in the 125-pound, 141-pound and 174-pound weight classes. At the 141-pound weight class senior Zak Hensley lost 6-1 as he took the place of usual starter and junior All-American Chad Red Jr. Nebraska’s losses in the 125-pound and 174-pound weight classes were to the No. 6 and No. 4 nationally ranked wrestlers in those classes, respectively. 

Despite those three losses, the Huskers cruised in their other seven match victories. In the 133-pound weight class, freshman Ridge Lovett pinned Travis Ford-Melton in just under four minutes, helping the Huskers gain an early lead. In the 165-pound weight class No. 5 senior All-American Isaiah White pinned Tanner Webster in one minute and 22 seconds, extending the Huskers’ lead to 21-6. 

Following a victory by decision for All-American junior Taylor Venz in the 184-pound weight class, No. 5 junior Eric Schultz continued the dominant performance for the Huskers. He got the first major decision of the dual when he defeated Jared Florell, 15-6. 

Then, on Sunday in the second dual of the road trip, the Huskers took on the Indiana Hoosiers. The Huskers were even more dominant in the second dual of the weekend, defeating the Hoosiers 35-6 and winning eight of the 10 bouts in the process. 

The dual started at the 141-pound weight class and the Huskers got things off on the right foot. After missing the dual against Purdue, Red Jr. returned and pinned Eddie Bolivar in 53 seconds to give the Huskers a 6-0 lead.

Then, in the 157-pound weight class, No. 18 redshirt freshman Peyton Robb secured a victory by a major decision of 9-1 over Fernie Silva. This gave the Huskers a 10-3 lead three matches into the dual. 

Later on in the 174-pound weight class, No. 6 sophomore All-American Mikey Labriola stepped up for the Huskers and pinned Diego Lemley in 52 seconds. Halfway through the dual, the Huskers held a 19-3 lead over the Hoosiers. 

In the 197-pound weight class No. 5 junior Eric Schultz collected a major decision, as did Christian Lance in the heavyweight class. The latter victory capped off six consecutive match wins in the middle of the dual for the Huskers which helped swing the score from 6-3 to 32-3. 

Lovett closed out the day for the Huskers with a victory over Cayden Rooks by a 4-2 decision. The Huskers ended the weekend with a dominant 35-6 victory over the Hoosiers, which was the largest margin of victory for the Huskers since they beat the Oregon State Beavers 32-3 at the Devaney Center on Dec. 20. 

Next up for the Huskers is a home dual against the Michigan Wolverines at the Devaney Center on Feb. 14.