tennis

It was another dominant weekend by the Nebraska women’s tennis team. After defeating Drake and Colorado State, the team continues its undefeated season with a 9-0 record. 

After starting the weekend with a 4-0 win over Drake, the Huskers were precise again, earning a 7-0 win against Colorado State. Nebraska continues its great form with only three individual losses all season. 

“We embraced the battle and played really well,” coach Scott Jacobson said. “The effort has been there all season, the attitudes are being right, and we are getting positive results.”

The Huskers got off to a quick start against Drake on Friday, earning the doubles team points in two matches.

Senior Mary Hanna and sophomore Paula Del Cueto Castillo controlled the No. 1 match, beating sophomore Joely Lomas and junior Summer Brills 6-2. 

The freshmen pair of Claire Reifeis and Hayley Haakenstad earned the team point for Nebraska at the No. 2 spot. They defeated sophomore Kenya Williams and freshman Alex Kozlowski 6-0. 

As the Huskers had already won the doubles matchup, senior Lisa Andersson and freshman Jeannie Lozowski had their 4-3 lead over juniors Tess Herder and Mela Jaglarz interrupted.

In singles play, Lozowski was the first to earn a win in a double 6-0 victory over Kozlowski at the No. 6 spot. Hanna defeated Williams at the No. 3 spot, 6-1, 6-0. Anderson gave the Huskers their fourth team point with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Jaglarz in the No. 5 match.

Junior Katerina Matysova, Reifeis, and Castillo had their games, and leads, unfinished. After the doubles team’s point and the three singles’ wins, Drake withdrew to play the remaining games, as Nebraska had already won the contest.

Drake played Colorado State on Saturday and earned a 4-3 win, matching its record on the season of four wins and three losses.

On Sunday, Nebraska played Colorado State and earned two quick victories in doubles competition.

Hanna and Del Cueto Castillo teamed up again for the No. 1 match, and defeated sophomore Emily Kolbow and senior Madison Porter, 6-1.

Andersson and sophomore Vasanti Shinde earned the second win to give the team point to the Huskers, beating freshmen Sandra Keta and Solene Crawley at the No. 3 spot.

Reifeis and Haakenstad had their game unfinished against senior Celine Voss and freshman Riley Reeves in which they led 5-4.

In singles play, Nebraska continued dominating.

Andersson earned the first singles win for NU, overcoming Crowley at the No. 6 spot, 6-2, 6-1. Matysova defeated Keta in the No. 4 match in a double 6-1. 

Reifeis gave the Huskers their fourth team point, beating Emily Kolbow at the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 6-2. Hanna won her game against Celine Voss in the No. 3 match, 6-3, 6-2. 

The last two matches were hard-fought by the Huskers. At the No. 5 spot, Lozowski had a good first set with a 6-4 victory over Porter. The second set went to tie break, and Lozowski defeated Porter with a final score of 6-4, 7-6.

In the last match, Del Cueto Castillo had a tough first set against Reeves, their match also going to tie-break. To give the Huskers their ninth win of the season, Del Cueto Castillo won the second set and the match with a score of 7-6, 6-3.

“Colorado State played really hard today,” Jacobson said. “They had a hard match against Drake yesterday, so you never know how they are going to come out.”

Lozowski, a freshman from Florida, commented on her difficult game against Porter.

“I was definitely a little bit nervous because it was my first very close match,” she said. “My opponent was older and had more experience, so I tried to just stay calm and in the point. Luckily, it came my way.”

Nebraska travels to Piscataway, New Jersey and plays Rutgers Wednesday at 11 a.m.