Husker Weekend by: Lindsey Pinkerton

Rifle

Nebraska traveled Friday to Oxford, Mississippi to take on Ole Miss for its last rifle meet of the regular season. Nebraska won the match 4,675-4,665 extending its win streak to three matches as it finished the season 7-8.

In smallbore, Nebraska lost 2,309-2,307 to Ole Miss. Husker sophomore Elena Flake led the Huskers with 582 points and tied Ole Miss junior Abby Buessler for most individual smallbore points. 

Nebraska freshman Hana Musser had 579 points in smallbore and tied for second-best individual smallbore performance. After Musser, Nebraska suffered a very small drop-off in production that let Ole Miss get the win.

Ole Miss sophomore Jillian Zakrzeski was the difference, scoring 575 smallbore points and taking the two-point win. Zakrzeski was Ole Miss’s third highest scorer while Nebraska’s third highest scorer, Macey Way, had 573 points.

Cheramie also had 573 but Ole Miss’s fourth highest scorer wound up with 573 points also. Despite the close loss, that point differential did not matter as Nebraska won the air rifle half 2,368-2,356.

The dominant air rifle edge was because three Huskers topped 590 points while one only Rebel had over 590 points. Freshman Macey Way led the Huskers with 595 points in air rifle and was the individual air rifle leader.

Junior Emily Cheramie and Flake both had 592 points. Musser and senior Maddie Korthas contributed to the score with 582 and 589 points respectively. 

Nebraska’s fourth-highest air rifle scorer, Musser, tied with Ole Miss’ second-highest scorer. Nebraska only sent six team members to Oxford and five placed in the top overall scoring leaderboards. The Rebels had 10 team members present for the meet. 

The Huskers are next in action at the NCAA Qualifier on Feb. 22.

Track and field

The Nebraska track and field team competed in two invitationals over the weekend: the Gorilla Classic in Pittsburg, Kansas and the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa. 

The big highlight for the Huskers at the Iowa State Classic was senior Elsa Forsberg, who placed fifth in the mile run. Forsberg finished the race with a personal-best time of 4:42.16 which puts her in eighth in school history.

At the Gorilla Classic, junior Ieva Turke led the Huskers with the best triple jump of her career at 43 feet and 1/2 inches to win the title, her fourth individual win of the season. Turke’s jump was the ninth-best in school history and puts her at number two in the Big Ten this season. Freshman McKenzie Pearson was the runner-up to Turke leaping 39 feet and 11 1/2 inches. Freshman Ashley McElmurry placed fifth with a personal best of 39 feet and 8 inches. 

In the running events, freshman Darius Luff won his first collegiate title of his career, winning the men's 60-meter hurdles with a personal best of 7.87 seconds. Luff edged out fellow Husker and senior captain Luke Siedhoff, who ran a time of 7.88 seconds. In women’s hurdles, freshman Winsome Harris took second in the 60-meter hurdles with a personal best of 8.47 seconds. 

In the field events, sophomore Mayson Conner won the high jump title with a clearance of 7 feet and 1/4 inches, which set the Gorilla Classic meet record. Freshman Alexander Thompson was second in the triple jump with a mark of 49 feet and 9 3/4 inches. Senior Kevin Cahoy placed third in the pole vault with a season-best vault of 16 feet and 10 3/4 inches. 

The Huskers’ next meet will be on Friday, Feb. 21, when they will host the Nebraska Tune-Up at the Devaney Center.

Men’s Tennis

The Nebraska men’s tennis team took on the Oregon Ducks in Eugene, Oregon on Sunday morning. The Ducks won by a score of 6-1, improving to 8-2 on the season, while the Huskers fell to 1-6 overall and are still winless away from home this season. 

In doubles play, Oregon won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Then in singles play, the Ducks dominated the Huskers, winning five of the six singles matches. The only Husker to win a singles match was freshman Shunya Maruyama. Sophomore Will Gleason was the only Husker other than Maruyama to even win a set in singles play against the Ducks, when he took the first set over senior Ty Gentry, before losing the final two. 

Next up for the Huskers is an away match against the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners on Saturday at 2 p.m. 

Women’s Tennis

The Nebraska women’s tennis team played three matches this weekend at the United States Tennis Association’s National Campus in Orlando, Florida against UC Santa Barbara, TCU and UCF.

First, the Huskers went up against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos on Friday morning. The Gauchos swept the Huskers in the doubles matches and took a 1-0 lead. UCSB was able to win three of the first four singles matches, ending the competition early with UCSB winning by a score of 4-1. The only Husker to win a singles match was senior Claire Reifeis. 

Then, the Huskers went up against TCU on Sunday morning. The Huskers fared much better in their second match of the weekend as they started things off by sweeping the doubles matches to earn the opening points of the match. The Huskers won the first three matches of singles play, leaving the other three unfinished, as Nebraska won the match 4-0. 

Finally, the Huskers went up against the No. 16 UCF Knights on Sunday afternoon. The Huskers narrowly lost out on the doubles point, falling behind 1-0 after doubles play. The Knights were able to win the first three singles matches, ending things early and winning the match by a score of 4-0 over the Huskers. 

Next up for the Huskers is a home match against the Colorado State Rams on Friday at 5 p.m.