Husker Weekend Recap Lindsey Pinkerton

Rifle

The Nebraska rifle team turned in the second-highest score in program history on Saturday, Feb. 8, recording a 4,687 to beat Akron.

NU posted the third-best smallbore score in program history with a 2,329. Led by freshman Hana Musser’s 588, two Huskers fired a 585 or better and all five Huskers scored above a 570. 

Musser also led the way in air rifle, shooting a 591. Freshman Macey Way, sophomore Elena Flake and junior Emily Cheramie each posted a 589, while sophomore Kinga Aletto rounded out the Husker lineup with a 579. 

Musser’s total score of 1,179 led both teams and was a career high.

Men’s tennis

The Nebraska men’s tennis team took on the SMU Mustangs in a neutral-site match at Old Dominion University on Saturday at the Folkes Stevens Tennis Center in Norfolk, Virginia. The Mustangs escaped with a narrow 4-3 victory over the Huskers, who fell to 1-4 on the season. 

The Mustangs captured the team point for the doubles matches when the Huskers were unable to win any, with SMU dominating all three doubles matches. This gave the Mustangs a 1-0 lead heading into singles play. 

In the singles matches the Huskers were far more competitive, splitting the six matches with the Mustangs. Victories for the Huskers came from a pair of freshmen, Andre Saleh and Shunya Maruyama, as well as sophomore Will Gleason. Despite these individual performances, the Huskers still fell 4-3 to the Mustangs. 

Nebraska returned on Sunday to face host Old Dominion. Old Dominion shut out Nebraska 5-0, as the Monarchs improved to 6-1, while the Huskers fell to 1-5 on the season.

The Monarchs swept the Huskers in doubles play to earn the doubles match point. 

The Huskers did not fare any better in singles play, as they failed to win a single set, let alone a match. Only four of the six singles matches even needed to be finished before the Monarchs were declared the winner with a 5-0 advantage. 

Next up for the Huskers is a trip to Eugene, Oregon to face the Oregon Ducks on Feb. 16. 

Women’s Tennis

The Nebraska women’s tennis team took on the Baylor Bears in Waco, Texas, at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center on Saturday. The Bears defeated the Huskers 6-1, helping Baylor improve to 6-0, while Nebraska suffered its first loss and fell to 4-1 on the season. 

The Huskers only won one of the three doubles matches, so the doubles point was awarded to the Bears, giving them a 1-0 lead. Jessica Aragon and Hayley Hakkenstad got the lone doubles victory on the day for the Huskers. 

Then, in singles play, the Huskers lost five of the six matches. The one singles win was by freshman Kristina Novak who defeated Mel Krywoj, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. While not winning their matches, Ellie and Chloe Kuckelman and Aragon all forced extra sets. 

Next up for the Huskers is a trip to Orlando, Florida, for matches against UCF, TCU and Santa Barbara. 

Men’s golf

The Husker men’s golf team claimed a fourth-place finish after upsetting both Ohio State and Michigan State on matchday one. The Huskers then proceeded to fall to top-seeded Northwestern in the semi-finals and Maryland in the third-place match to end their run in the Big Ten Match Play Championships.

Nebraska began the tournament against reigning tournament champions Ohio State. The Huskers beat the Buckeyes 4-3 with sophomore Caleb Badura, and juniors Mark Foelbaek, Tom Westenberger and Daniel Pearson all helping the Huskers to victory.

The Huskers would eventually fall to Northwestern 4-2 in the semi-finals before losing to Maryland 3.5-2.5 in the third-place match. The fourth-place finish was their best ever in the Big Ten Match Play Championships, tying last year’s fourth-place finish. Despite the loss against Northwestern, Badura and junior Branden Meyer picked up victories in the losing effort.

Both Meyer and Badura performed well for Nebraska during the weekend with records of 4-0 and 3-1 respectively.

The Huskers will next hit the greens on Feb. 22 for the West Coast Alumni Match. They then head down to Desert Mountain, Arizona, to compete in the Desert Mountain Invitational from March 7-8.

Track and field

Nebraska track and field hosted the Frank Sevigne Invitational where the team competed against over 35 teams. Overall, the team grabbed 10 titles over the course of the two-day meet. 

Starting things off on Friday, Feb. 7, was the men’s weight throw where sophomore James Joycey claimed the title with a throw of 67 feet, 10 ¾ inches. Joycey won the event by over a foot and now has the fourth-best throw in school history. Following Joycey, junior Ieva Turke won both the long jump (19 feet, 8 ¾ inches) and the triple jump (42 feet, 2 ¾ inches) titles. Those were her third and fourth titles of the season along with her season-best jumps. 

On Saturday, junior Madison Yerigan began the meet with the high jump title of 5 feet, 8 ½ inches, which is her indoor personal best. Following Yerigan in the field events were junior Burger Lambrechts Jr. and senior captain Kristina Insingo, who both claimed shot put titles. Insingo’s throw of 55 feet helped push her to No. 4 all-time in school history along with putting her at No. 10 in the nation this season. 

In the running events, freshman Brent Wetovick continued his undefeated streak as he won the 600-meter run and was a part of the 4x400-meter relay team that also won, giving him seven titles through the first four weeks of the season. In the 3,000-meter race, junior Erika Freyhof led for the entirety of the race, winning the title and earning a new personal best with a time of 9:40.23. 

The highlight of the meet was the historic run by sophomore George Kusche in the men’s 3,000-meter run. Throughout the whole race, Kusche ran at a smooth pace with one objective in mind, breaking the school record of 7:58.20. As Kusche flew down the home stretch, fans were on their feet cheering, applauding and looking in disbelief as Kusche shattered the record with a time of 7:50.93. The run put him at the No. 1 spot in the Big Ten and No. 3 in the nation. 

The team’s next meet will be the Iowa State Classic and the Gorilla Classic which will both be on Feb. 14-15.