Husker Weekend Recap

Bowling

The Nebraska bowling team claimed its third tournament title in as many events to wrap up the fall season, as it won all three matches on the final day of the SFA Ladyjack Hammer Classic to win the event. 

The Huskers began the tournament’s final day as the 4-seed in the championship bracket after going 6-4 over the event’s first two days. They opened Sunday’s championship bracket against Vanderbilt. 

NU jumped out to an early lead by winning the first three games of the match 246-227, 248-216 and 222-157. The Commodores rallied to win the next two games, but the Huskers stopped the comeback bid with a 191-183 win in the sixth game. 

The win sent NU to the semifinals against top-seeded Sam Houston State. The Bearkats took the opening game 218-215, but the Huskers responded with a 237-183 win in the second game to even up the match. In the third game, the Huskers bowled a perfect 300 and took a 2-1 lead in the match. 

Sam Houston State won the fourth game, but Nebraska punched its ticket to the championship match with a 253-221 win in the fifth game and a 224-217 win in the sixth game. 

The win set up a clash with McKendree University for the tournament crown. The Huskers jumped out to an early lead with a 217-192 win in the first game and a 208-172 win in the second, but the Bearcats took the third and fourth games to even up the match. 

NU won the fifth game 203-163 and then took the sixth game 199-170 to win the match and the tournament. 

In the individual standings, senior Raquel Orozco led the Huskers. Orozco finished eighth with a 213 average. She broke 200 in four of five individual games, narrowly missing that mark with a 197 in the final individual game. 

Junior Leah Glazer and senior Allison Morris also recorded top-20 finishes for NU. Glazer finished with a 207.4 average and broke 200 four times en route to a 14th-place finish. Morris broke 200 in three games and finished 20th with a 202.6 average. 

The Huskers return to action in January at the Storming Blue & Gold in Las Vegas. 

Rifle

The No. 5 Nebraska rifle team took third on Saturday, Nov. 16, against TCU and Memphis in Fort Worth, Texas. 

The Huskers shot a total score of 2,307 in smallbore, led by sophomore Elena Flake's 581, which was good enough for sixth place. Seniors Kayla Gadeken and Samantha Peterson followed with scores of 574 and 570, respectively. 

In air rifle the Huskers finished with a total score of 2,355. Freshman Macey Way and Flake both shot 591, which was the event’s leading score. Junior Emily Cheramie finished with 585 to end off the scoring for the Huskers in air rifle. 

Nebraska was not able to edge Memphis in a close three-point match on Nov. 17, falling 4,669-4,666. 

The Huskers finished with a total score of 2,302 in smallbore, in which Cheramie scored a career-high of 588 to lead the Huskers, and was first place overall in the individual standings.

Nebraska shot a total score of 2,364 in air rifle, with Way shooting a team-high 584. Freshman Hannah Musser shot a career-high in air rifle with 591.

Nebraska finished its fall schedule 3-7, and will begin match play again on Jan. 18 in Annapolis, Maryland, against Ole Miss. 

Tags