Isaiah Griffith

Isaiah Griffith competes in the long jump during the intrasquad meet on Dec. 9, 2017, at the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Husker track and field team will compete in the upcoming Graduate Classic on Friday, Jan. 12, to Saturday, Jan. 13, at the Bob Devaney Sports Center Indoor Track.

This is the second invitational/meet out of five for the Huskers at the Devaney Center. Eighteen other teams will compete in the Graduate Classic, formerly known as the Holiday Inn Classic.

The teams competing are: University of Nebraska-Omaha, Drake University, UMKC, University of Nebraska-Kearney, Wayne State College, Northwest Missouri State, Missouri Western State, Ft. Hays State, Concordia University, Nebraska Wesleyan, Washburn University, Midland University, Barton County CC, Cloud County CC, Cowley CC, Garden City CC, Iowa Western CC and Butler CC.

The middle and long distance run events begin at 4 p.m. concluding with of the 5,000 meter run at 8:15 p.m.

Other events that night include the weight throw, long jump, high jump and pole vault. On Saturday, events begin at noon and end with the 4x400 meter relay at 4:40 p.m. The second day’s events consist of shot put, triple jump, relays, short distance runs, the seeded high jump and pole vault.

At the Intrasquad Meet back in early December there was close competition as the red team outscored the white team 130 to 120. The meet consisted of 37 events that resulted in three broken records during the day.

Senior Nick Percy beat his own Intrasquad Meet record in the weight throw event with a distance of 20.11 meters. Sophomore Ashleigh Carr set a women’s 600 meter meet record with a time of 1:32.20. The women’s 4x400 meter relay team set a meet record with a fast time of 3:45.99.

Notable first place performances included junior middle-distance runner, Ty Moss who nearly broke the 1,000 meter record by a second finished with a time of 2:28.43. Sophomore Isaiah Griffith dominated in the men’s long jump with a distance of 7.55 meters in the finals and freshman Burger Lambrechts Jr., native of Pretoria, South Africa, had early success with a first place finish in the men’s shot put with a 17.51 meter distance. Senior Angela Mercurio also had a strong finish in the women’s triple jump with a distance of 12.52 meters.

After facing injuries from many athletes last season, the upcoming indoor track season looks more promising. Action begins on Friday with middle and long distance events kicking off at 4 p.m.