Husker Weekend Recap

Women’s Golf

The Nebraska women’s golf team wrapped up its fall season this weekend with an 11th-place finish out of 16 teams at the Battle at the Beach in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico.

The Huskers posted a team score of 902, five strokes behind Denver and two shots ahead of Iowa and Missouri. 

Ole Miss won the event with a score of 857, seven shots ahead of second-place LSU and 12 strokes ahead of TCU.

Senior Kate Smith led the Huskers this weekend as she finished in the top 25 for the third time in four tournaments this fall. Smith posted an even-par 72 in the first round and a two-over 74 in both the second and third rounds. She finished tied for 25th with a score of 220, four strokes over par. 

Sophomore Megan Whittaker also recorded a top-40 finish, as she finished tied for 36th with a score of 223. Whittaker opened with a seven-over 79 but rebounded to post a career-best three-under 69 in the second round and a three-over 75 in the final round.

Additionally, sophomore Kirsten Baete finished tied for 67th, senior Haley Thiele and freshman Leah Herzog tied for 71st and junior Hannah Thiele finished 79th.

Men’s Tennis

Over the weekend, the Nebraska men’s tennis team competed in the Big Ten Individual Championships, an event hosted by the university and played at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center. 

On Friday, Nov. 1, the Huskers found little success in doubles play. In three matches in the main draw, the Huskers lost each one. The closest match came from sophomore William Gleason and sophomore Patrick Cacciatore. Playing the Ohio State duo of junior Tim Seibert and redshirt junior Jacob Wareti, the Huskers fell 8-7 in a match that went to six additional points. Then, in the consolation bracket, the Huskers again lost their three matches, each to a duo based in Michigan.

The Huskers found more success in singles play as Gleason made it to the quarterfinals of the main singles draw. Gleason played Michigan State junior John Carlin in the first round, winning 6-7, 6-4, 6-2. Then, in the round of 16, Gleason played Wisconsin freshman Gabriel Huber in a tense three-set match. Winning 6-3 in the first set, Gleason had a chance to eliminate Huber, but lost after a protracted 6-7 set which went to an additional five points. In the final set, Gleason was able to stop the native Austrian’s momentum and win the match 7-6 in a set which went to an additional three points. Gleason’s match against Huber was the only set in the tournament to have multiple sets go to additional points.

Gleason’s quarterfinal matchup came against Czech wunderkind senior Dominik Stary of Northwestern University. Stary, the No. 115 collegiate tennis player in the country, beat Gleason 6-1 twice and went on to win the tournament.

Despite losing in the first round of the main draw, both freshman Andre Saleh and sophomore Patrick Cacciatore went on to play well in the consolation bracket. Saleh, in the round of 16, beat MSU freshman Kazuki Matsuno 6-4 in the first set, and 6-3 in the second. Cacciatore beat Wareti of Ohio State 7-5, 6-2.

In the back draw of the quarter finals, Saleh played Iowa junior Morgan Lohan, beating him in two sets, 6-2, 6-3. Meanwhile, Cacciatore beat NU freshman Russell Berdusco in two 6-2 sets. This set up a situation where, should both Saleh and Cacciatore win in the semifinals, the two would play against each other in the consolation finals.

This would not happen, however, as Cacciatore fell to Iowa junior Joe Tyler 6-3, 6-4. Saleh matched against John Carlin in the semifinals, who Gleason had beaten in the first round. 

Unfortunately for Saleh, he was unable to test himself against Carlin. Come the morning of the match, Saleh injured his shoulder, and conceded the semifinal to Carlin before the match had begun, bringing Nebraska’s participation to a close.

Women’s Tennis

In the last tournament of the 2019 fall women’s tennis season, freshmen Chloe and Ellie Kuckelman,  twins from Overland Park, Kansas, participated in the Dick Vitale Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic. On Friday, in the first round, the twins played the Michigan duo of sophomore Anca Craciun and freshman Nicole Hammond. The fourth seed in the tournament, Craciun and Hammond had won eight times in Big Ten doubles play. The Kuckelman twins played a hard-fought match which ended in an 8-6 victory.

In the quarterfinals the twins played freshman Cassie Mclay and junior María José Zacarias of Appalachian State. The Kuckelman twins won by a commanding 8-3 margin, securing a spot in the semifinals the next day.

Freshman Alana Wolfberg and sophomore Catherine Gulihur of Oklahoma State were the next challenge for the Kuckelman twins. The Nebraska duo defeated the number one seed in the tournament 8-5 to advance to Sunday’s final.

In the final, the twins played senior Tsveta Dimitrova and sophomore Marlee Zein of the University of Florida. The experience of Dimitrova, a native Bulgarian who specializes in clay surfaces, proved too much for the Kuckelman twins, who lost 8-2 in the match to finish as runners-up.