The weekend so far

Women’s Tennis

Husker tennis freshmen Isabel Adrover Gallego and Kristina Novak played in the Texas International Tennis Association tournament. The duo competed together in doubles play and separately in a singles draw.

In the first round, Novak had the unlucky draw of Argentina native Maria Lordes Carlé, who, on the junior tour, achieved a ranking as high as 48th. Novak lost both sets 6-2 and was eliminated from singles play. Gallego played professional Madeleine Kobelt, who had a fairly successful career for Syracuse University before graduating in 2014. Gallego lost 6-1 in the first match, but came back to force a third set 7-5. This set up a 6-3 victory for Gallego, who advanced to play University of Texas junior Anna Turati. Turati beat Gallego in two sets, the first 6-4 and the second 6-2. 

In doubles play, Gallego and Novak played two of the highest-ranked tennis prospects in the nation. High school senior Charlotte Chavatipon, ranked sixth in the nation for her class, and high school junior Elaine Chervinsky, who is ranked ninth in the nation for her class went up against the Husker duo. Chavatipon and Chervinsky beat Gallego and Novak 6-3 in the first set, and 6-2 in the second. This eliminated Gallego and Novak from doubles play.

The next tournament the women’s tennis team will compete in is the Dick Vitale Invitational starting in early November.

Men’s Tennis

The Husker men’s tennis team competed in the ITA 2019 Central Region Championships over the weekend. After a strong showing at the Bobby Bayliss Invitational in September, the Huskers hoped to build on that performance and improve doubles chemistry for the young team.

In doubles play, the duo of freshman Chester Wickwire and senior Chris Dean fell in the round of 64 to the Drake University duo of sophomore Evan Fragistas and freshman Luka Jankovic 8-3. The pair of freshman Andre Saleh and Shunya Maruyama, who also played as a duo in South Bend, won in the round of 64, beating sophomore Reid Jarvis and junior Freddie Powell of Drake University 8-5. The pair of Saleh and Maruyama went on to lose in the round of 32.

With a round of 64 bye, the pairing of freshman Albert Sprlak-Puk and sophomore Patrick Cacciatore won in the round of 32. Then, they won in the round of 16, beating sophomore Nick Campbell and senior Mac Mease of Creighton University 8-7(2). Also with the first round bye, sophomores Victor Moreno Lozano and William Gleason lost in the round of 16 to freshman Siim Troost and junior Vlad Lobak of the University of Minnesota in a hard-fought 8-7 match which went to four points.

In the doubles quarterfinals, the duo of Sprlak-Puk and Cacciatore fell to the duo of Nikita Shnezhko and Matt Clegg of Iowa University 8-5 to end their run in the tournament. 

In the singles round of 128, Cacciatore lost 7-5, 6-1 to Hunter Harrison of Arkansas. Victor Moreno Lozano defeated Kacper Piekarek of UMKC 6-1, 6-3. Shunya Maruyama defeated Jake Fraunfelder of UMKC 6-2, 6-2 and Andre Saleh defeated Marcello Moreira of Oral Roberts 6-4, 6-4. 

The round of 64 for singles started with Will Gleason defeating Scott Hjelm of Oral Roberts 6-1, 6-2. Chris Dean fell to Will Davies of Iowa 6-1, 6-2. Moreno Lozano defeated Juan Pablo Cenoz of Tulsa 7-6, 7-6. Maruyama lost to Troost 6-4, 6-1. Evan Fragistas of Drake took down Saleh 6-2, 6-3 and finally, Sprlak-Puk beat Dawis Lawley of UNO 7-5, 6-4. 

In the round of 32, Emile Hudd of Oregon State defeated Gleason 6-2, 6-4. Moreno Lozano was able to best Brady Draheim of Oregon State 6-4, 6-3 while Sebastian Vile of Minnesota took down Sprlak-Puk 6-3, 6-1.

Rifle

Nebraska scored a total of 4,636 points Saturday for a third-place finish, with 2,273 points in smallbore and 2,363 points in air rifle. The Huskers beat No. 19 University of Texas at El Paso but finished behind No. 4 Air Force and No. 3 Kentucky, which won with a total of 4,686.

In smallbore, senior Samantha Peterson scored 577 points for fifth overall. Junior Emily Cheramie scored 568 points and sophomore Elena Flake finishes with 567. Freshman Trinity Gomez and sophomore Kinga Aletto both finished with 561 points. 

In air rifle freshman Macey Way outscored everyone with 594 points. Flake scored 593, Peterson had 589 points and Cheramie followed with 587 points. Aletto rounded out the Huskers’ scoring with 580 points. 

The Huskers took on No. 4 Air Force on Sunday Oct. 27 and lost 4,664-4,646.

In smallbore, the Huskers scored a total of 2,286 points. Flake scored 580 points, along with freshman Trinity Gomez, who scored 571 points. 

In air rifle, Flake shot 596 points, almost out-scoring her own school-record of 597 points, and she was able to finish in second place overall. Way shot the best score of her collegiate career with 595 points and Nebraska had finished with a total score of 2,360. 

Nebraska will take aim at its next opponents on Nov. 9 for a home match against Army at 9 a.m.