Nebraska Men's Basketball vs. Southern University Photo No. 5

Nebraska's Jervay Green (23) attempts to evade a steal from Southern University during a game at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Friday, Nov. 22, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska junior guard Jervay Green has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules, per an official announcement on Friday afternoon.

Green has started all nine of Nebraska’s games in his first season on campus. He is currently the team’s fourth leading scorer, averaging 10.3 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. 

Green committed to former Nebraska head coach Tim Miles during his second season at Western Nebraska Community College. In his sophomore season there, he shot 55 percent from the field and averaged 23.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game and earned second-team NJCAA All-America honors.

After Miles was fired in March, he reaffirmed his commitment to new head coach Fred Hoiberg in April.

In his first season playing at the Division I level, Green has had an inconsistent start to the season. He shot 2-9 in Nebraska’s season-opening loss to UC Riverside but responded by scoring 18 points in the following game against Southern Utah, including a last-second 3-pointer that sent the game to overtime. 

Green has struggled mightily over the past week, scoring 11 points in a 73-56 loss at Georgia Tech and 10 points in a 95-76 loss at Creighton while shooting a combined 7-21 from the field. 

Nebraska will take on Indiana on Friday night, and return home to face Purdue on Sunday. Hoiberg’s next two scheduled media appearances will be immediately after each game.