softball

Lexey Kneib (00) throws the ball to first base after tagging out Minnesota's Ali Lindner (67) at Bowlin Stadium on Sunday, April 21, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Minnesota Gophers swept Husker softball in a three-game series on April 19-21.

The Huskers opened the weekend with Friday’s 3-0 loss to the No. 18 Gophers. 

Nebraska held the Gophers to only one run through six innings, only to give up two more runs in the sixth.

Sophomore Olivia Ferrell was handed the loss for the Huskers, dropping her record to 3-6 on the season. She gave up one run on five hits in three innings. Minnesota’s Amber Fiser improved to 19-6 after pitching a complete game with only six hits in seven innings.

The Huskers had six hits in the loss, all coming from freshman Peyton Glatter, senior Alyvia Simmons, junior Tristen Edwards, freshman Lindsey Walljasper and senior Bri Cassidy. Although Nebraska put the ball in play, it continues to struggle with runners in scoring position, as it left eight runners on base.

Minnesota took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning after four-straight walks from Ferrell and scored the rest of its runs in the top of the sixth after the Gophers loaded the bases and singled and hit a sacrifice fly to score two runners.

In the bottom of the seventh, the Huskers threatened Minnesota’s lead by putting runners on the corners. However, they could not find a way to score, as a strikeout ended the game.

The Big Ten matchup continued Saturday, and the Gophers won the second game by a score of 8-3.

Freshman pitcher Lindsey Walljasper was handed the loss, dropping her record to 7-10 on the season, while Minnesota’s Sydney Smith improved to 10-4 on the season.

Walljasper pitched through four innings, giving up six runs on six hits, including two walks and a strikeout.

Sydney Smith dominated in the circle for the Gophers, as she pitched a complete seven-inning game, giving up three runs on six hits, including three strikeouts.

Minnesota broke the game open in the fourth inning going up 6-0 on the Huskers through a solo home run, a bases-clearing triple and an infield single.

Nebraska looked to do damage in the sixth after Alyvia Simmons broke up Smith’s no-hitter bid, putting runners in scoring position.

Walljasper hit a single to allow Simmons to score followed by Courtney Wallace getting a hit to load the bases. The threat ended after a ground ball in front of the plate was fielded by Minnesota catcher Emma Burns, who stepped on home and threw to first for the inning-ending double play.

Minnesota hit a two-run home run in the top of the seventh to extend its lead to 8-1. In the bottom of the seventh, the Huskers looked to make a comeback by loading the bases when Edwards hit a two-run single. The attempted comeback was put to an end after two strikeouts ended the game.

The Huskers lost their final game Sunday 9-3, ending the series.

Wallace was the starting pitcher for the Huskers who took the loss, dropping her record to 3-5 on the season, while Fiser had another dominant start for the Gophers, improving her record to 20-6.

Wallace pitched five innings, giving up nine runs on ten hits, including six walks and four strikeouts. Wallace was later relieved by Ferrell who gave up no runs on two hits. Fiser pitched another seven-inning complete game, giving up three runs on six hits with only one walk and ten strikeouts.

The Huskers had five hits in the loss, with two coming from Simmons and one from Walljasper and Lexey Kneib. Nebraska scored only three runs in the loss, continuing to struggle offensively.

The Huskers are now 15-26 overall after being swept by the Gophers. Nebraska’s next game is Tuesday, April 23, against South Dakota State at Bowlin Stadium at 4 p.m.