softball

Pitcher Olivia Ferrell winds up against South Dakota State on March 14, 2018, at Bowlin Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska softball team played a double-header against the Iowa State Cyclones in Ames on Sunday—its first out-of-state games so far this season.

The Cyclones posed a challenge as under second-year head coach Jamie Pinkerton, Iowa State achieved its winningest season and first time in a national postseason tournament since 1988.

Nebraska, in the first game, established a commanding lead at the top of the fourth inning, with freshman Keana Pola starting a four-run inning with a home run. Right after, junior pitcher and Omaha native Olivia Ferrell doubled off the wall, scoring two runs to bring the score up to 5-1. 

This momentum carried through the bottom of the inning, leading to another run in the sixth for the Huskers to make the score 6-1. The game drew close again as Iowa State hit a home run after two singles to make the score 6-4. However, in the top of the seventh, senior Tristen Edwards hit a home run to center field to bring the score up to 8-4. The game ended 8-5, with nine Husker hits to Iowa State’s 10. 

The second game started off promising, with junior outfielder Rylie Unzicker scoring off of a first-and-third play. However, the rest of the game completely belonged to the Cyclones. Scoring two runs in the bottom of the first, three in the third and two in the fourth, the Cyclones flew to a 7-1 lead. The game ended 10-1 in favor of Iowa State. One of the reasons for this may be a significant hit disparity between the teams—Iowa State led 14-6.

The Huskers will play in the Big Red Fall Classic in the Bowlin Stadium next week, starting with a double-header against Colorado State on Oct. 12th.