Soccer

Haley Hanson (8) attempts to shake off a Rutgers player at Barbara Hibner Soccer Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Oct. 8, 2017.

Two Husker soccer players were awarded second team All-Midwest Region honors by the United Soccer Coaches. Haley Hanson and Sinclaire Miramontez were commended on their performances in the 2017 season. Over 24 years, Nebraska has produced 58 All-Region athletes.

Hanson, a senior midfielder, was also awarded second team All-Big Ten earlier this year. She started all 19 games this season and scored nine goals for the Huskers. Hanson was also chosen to participate in the U.S. Under-23 Women’s National Team training camp in Orlando, Florida. She was one of 22 college players invited to participate.

Miramontez, a defender for Nebraska, received first team All-Big Ten honors for the 2017 season. The sophomore started all 19 games and played for a total of 1,848 minutes. While on defense, Miramontez took 19 shots and scored one goal against the South Dakota Coyotes. She was also invited to the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team training camp this year.

The Nebraska women’s soccer team missed the NCAA playoffs this year and ended its 2017 season 9-5-5 and 3-3-5 in the Big Ten. Miramontez will be back in action for the Huskers during the 2018 season next fall.