Soccer vs. Penn State

Nebraska's Brenna Ochoa dribbles the ball up the field in the game against the Penn State Nittany Lions at the Barbara Hibner Soccer Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska soccer concluded its regular season with a hard 1-0 loss at home against Penn State. 

The Huskers finished the day with six shots, just one being on goal, while Penn State had nine shots, five being on goal. Senior goalkeeper Aubrei Corder had four saves but the lone goal came 11 minutes into the game. 

The Huskers also celebrated Senior Day, with seven players playing at Hibner Stadium for one last time. The seven seniors on the team are Sinclaire Miramontez, Savanah Uveges, Mayte Corral, Aubrei Corder, Brenna Ochoa, Hannah McKinney and Meg Brandt.

“This is such a special group of seniors,” Miramontez said. “Every single one of them has been through a different journey. That’s what makes so unique. They’re all different and special in their own way. It’s been an honor to play beside them.”

“It’s been such a blessing to play with these guys,” Ochoa said. “It’s gonna suck without them, but I think we really made the most of it. They’re my best friends.”

The game started off with fast-paced attacking from Penn State as the Nittany Lions kept the ball on Nebraska’s side of the field for the majority of the first 10 minutes. Penn State initially couldn’t capitalize thanks to two impressive saves by Corder, but it eventually put the ball in the back of the net to take a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute. 

The Huskers were able to keep Penn State away from the net for the rest of the half. Nebraska also had a few opportunities of its own throughout. Ochoa had two shots, one on goal, but Penn State’s defense and a left post kept the score 1-0 in the first half. 

“This whole year we’ve been capable in hanging against the best teams in the conference,” Miramontez said. “We just went back to the little things, trying to be balanced in everything.”

Penn State nearly had a goal a few times in the second half. Corder saved a few shots, while one shot bounced off the crossbar. After another Husker shot attempt, Penn State stormed right down the field, but Corder got another save. A corner kick then hit the right post shortly after to keep the Huskers in the game. Entering the 70th minute, Nebraska was in scoring position, but once again Penn State’s defense continued to shut out the Huskers. The Nittany Lions held on to take the game 1-0. 

“We didn’t want this to be our last 45 minutes,” Ochoa said. “So we knew we had to give them everything we had. Unfortunately, we couldn’t finish.”

“We fought to the very end,” Miramontez said. “Nobody was doubting that we could win. We played to the final whistle and there’s nothing more you can ask a team.”

The Huskers finish the season 4-10-4 and 3-6-2 in the conference. They are now waiting to see if they qualified for the conference tournament, which starts Sunday, Nov. 3 with the quarterfinals. The semi-finals and the championship will be held by Rutgers in Piscataway, New Jersey from Nov. 8-10

“I’m so proud of what are team has gotten through in this season,” Ochoa said. “We may not have gotten the record we wanted but I’m still really proud to play with these girls.”