wgym kessler

The No. 12 Nebraska women’s gymnastics team hosts the Big Ten Championships this upcoming weekend, and heading into weekend, four Huskers have been given Big Ten honors.

Senior Hollie Blanske and sophomore Grace Williams were both named to the first-team All-Big Ten athletes. This year marks back-to-back seasons where Blanske has been named to the first team and the first time Williams has received the honor. Blanske and Williams combined for 25 individual event titles this season.

As for the second team, sophomore Danielle Breen and junior Jennie Laeng were both named to the team for the first time in their careers.

In a competitive Big Ten Conference, Nebraska coach Dan Kendig is happy with the number of players on his team who are getting recognition.

“It’s an incredible accomplishment to be named to these all-conference teams,” Kendig said. “The quality of gymnastics in the Big Ten Conference keeps getting stronger and stronger, and this is quite an honor for all four of our gymnasts. We’re looking forward to the Big Ten Championships next week.”

Twenty-nine athletes were named to the two teams, Nebraska having the third-most athletes on both teams. The Huskers fall just behind No. 7 Michigan (6) and No. 16 Minnesota (4).

The Big Ten Championships at the Bob Devaney Sports Center begins Saturday at 11 a.m. with Nebraska competing in the second session, starting at 4 p.m.