JD Spielman

Seven Huskers were honored this week when the Big Ten Conference announced the all-conference teams for defensive, offensive and special teams on Nov. 28-29. Junior wide receiver Stanley Morgan Jr. and redshirt freshman wide receiver JD Spielman were awarded second and third team, respectively, for their offensive performances. Junior offensive lineman Jerald Foster, junior offensive lineman Nick Gates and senior kicker Drew Brown were offensive honorable mentions. Brown, Spielman and senior wide receiver De’Mornay Pierson-El were honorable mentions for the All-Big Ten special teams.

Morgan Jr. was chosen by both the coaches and media for the second team honor. The wide receiver set a season record of 986 receiving yards on 61 receptions. He leads the Big Ten in touchdown catches, receiving yards per game and 100-yard receiving games.

Spielman was also honored on Wednesday by Big Ten media and coaches as a third team All-Big Ten receiver. Spielman is ranked among the top Big Ten players in kickoff returns as a redshirt freshman. His first career touchdown was a 99-yard return against Arkansas State earlier this year. He accounted for 830 receiving yards in 2017 and two touchdowns.

Brown has earned all-league honors for the third consecutive season. In 2015 he was named second team All-Big Ten and in 2016 he received honorable mention accolades. Brown was picked by both the Big Ten media and coaches as an honorable mention. He polished off his career at Nebraska as the fourth-leading scorer with 355 points.

Pierson-El was the go-to punt returner for the Huskers this season and finished third on Nebraska’s career punt return yardage list. He finished his Husker career with 11 touchdowns and 1,309 receiving yards.  

Foster and Gates received honorable mentions from both the Big Ten media and coaches for their offensive performances this year. Gates was third team offense by the media and honorable mention by the coaches in 2016.