Cancelled game Nebraska vs. Akron

Husker football fan holds up a sign predicting the score of the game against Akron at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 1, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska fans waited over 200 days for head coach and former Husker Scott Frost to make his return to Memorial Stadium.

The Sea of Red was supposed to see their golden boy return Saturday, Sept. 1 as the Huskers were slated to take on the Akron Zips. The game was set to kick off at 7 p.m., but after nearly three hours of weather delays and inclement weather, Nebraska Athletics confirmed Frost and Co. would have to wait another week to make his debut.

For fans, disappointment was a common theme as they sat in the Nebraska Union after being forced to evacuate Memorial Stadium two hours into the game’s weather delay.

Jean and LaVonne Uffelman of Lincoln arrived at Memorial Stadium about two hours before the game’s scheduled kickoff time. Jean said he knew there was supposed to be thunderstorms at around 8 p.m.

“It’s disappointing,” Jean said.

Despite the weather, both Jean and LaVonne agreed the atmosphere inside Memorial Stadium was as electric as any home game.

“The energy was big,” Jean said.

“Everybody was anticipating Scott,” LaVonne said.

Tilden resident and 29-year season ticket holder Dave Rittscher said he had been waiting for a game like this for a long time.

“I wanted to see the game. We’ve been waiting for this for three or four years for this,” Rittscher said.

Rittscher also recognized the energy within the stadium despite the weather.

“Everybody would have left if it wasn’t Scott,” Rittscher said.

For Rittscher, the cancelled game also brings into question the possible ramifications of playing a shorter season if the game is not rescheduled.  

“If we don’t get six wins because of this, who knows how many wins we’re gonna get. I mean I’d take eight or nine,” Rittscher said, laughing.

Nebraska fans will have to wait just a little bit longer to see Nebraska’s first snap in the Scott Frost area.

“We had our chance to start new, but there’s always next week,” Rittscher said.