Baseball vs. Minnesota recap

Scott Schreiber (11) swings his bat during the game against Minnesota on March 24, 2018, at Hawks Field in Lincoln, Nebraska.

While most students from the University of Nebraska were on spring break, the Nebraska baseball team finished up its nonconference slate with games against Northwestern State and Oral Roberts and began Big Ten play with a series against Minnesota. The Huskers went 3-4 over their seven games, bringing their record to 13-11 on the season.

Game 1: Northwestern State 6, Nebraska 2

After the series opener was cancelled due to weather, senior pitcher Luis Alvarado took the mound for the Huskers and allowed only one run in five innings. The Huskers scored one run in both the first and second innings to take an early advantage but were held scoreless for the rest of the game. Northwestern State scored two runs off of junior pitcher Nate Fisher in the seventh inning to take a 3-2 lead and added three more in the ninth inning to secure a 6-2 win.

Game 2: Nebraska 7, Northwestern State 6

After a lackluster offensive performance in their last outing, the Huskers utilized a six-run third inning to defeat Northwestern State. Sophomore Mojo Hagge drove in a run with an RBI groundout and senior Scott Schreiber scored another with a single before sophomore Luke Roskam hit a grand slam to put the Huskers up 6-0. Senior right-handed pitcher Matt Warren started the game and allowed five runs through five innings to pick up the win. Nebraska added another run in the bottom of the seventh inning before senior closer Jake Hohensee allowed a solo home run in the ninth inning before ultimately earning the save.

Game 3: Oral Roberts 11, Nebraska 4

The Huskers hit the road for a midweek series against Oral Roberts, but the Nebraska pitching staff struggled to perform against the Golden Eagles in the first game. Junior Matt Waldron started the game for the Huskers but lasted only 1.1 innings, as Oral Roberts scored five runs against him. Freshman Andrew Abrahamowicz entered the game and held down the fort until the fifth inning, when he and junior Byron Hood combined to allow six more runs. The Nebraska offense reached base 13 times but could not convert those opportunities into enough runs to match the Golden Eagles.

Game 4: Nebraska 11, Oral Roberts 10

Nebraska’s pitching struggles continued against Oral Roberts, but a late-game comeback from the Huskers provided the runs needed for a narrow win. Fisher started the game and allowed only one run in four innings of work, as Nebraska took an early 5-1 lead helped along by a two-run single from Hagge in the second inning. The Huskers tacked on another run in the top of the fifth inning, but the a Golden Eagle grand slam tied the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the fifth. Oral Roberts scored two more runs in the sixth inning to take an 8-6 lead, but Nebraska responded with a three-run seventh and two-run eighth inning to re-claim the lead. Oral Roberts battled back with two more runs in the eighth inning, but Hohensee secured the win with 1.1 innings of scoreless work and earned his fifth save of the season.

Game 5: Minnesota 5, Nebraska 1

Alvarado started Nebraska’s Big Ten opener and allowed two runs in the top of the second inning before Nebraska earned its sole run of the game in the bottom of the second with an RBI single from Roskam. Minnesota’s Reggie Meyer held the Huskers to one run in his eight innings of work, despite eight hits from the Nebraska offense as the Huskers could not muster much run support.

Game 6: Nebraska 8, Minnesota 2

Nebraska led from the get-go against Minnesota in the second game of the series and never looked back, as the Huskers scored all of their runs in the first five innings. Schreiber hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the first inning before Joe Acker drove in another run in the second inning with an RBI groundout. Schreiber hit his second home run of the game in the third inning to put Nebraska up 4-0 before Minnesota earned two runs off of Matt Waldron in the fourth inning, the only blemish on an otherwise perfect seven-inning outing from the pitcher. Nebraska scored another run in the bottom of the fourth before finishing the scoring with a Roskam sacrifice fly and a two-RBI single from Jaxon Hallmark.

Game 7: Minnesota 2, Nebraska 0

Nebraska was held scoreless against Minnesota as the Huskers lost their first series in conference play. Matt Warren started the game for the Huskers and threw four scoreless innings before allowing two runs in the fifth inning, marking the only scoring from either team in a pitcher’s duel. Minnesota’s Patrick Fredrickson allowed only four hits in seven innings of work as the Huskers failed to create chances against the superior Minnesota pitching.

Next up for Nebraska is a game against Creighton on Tuesday in Omaha before a three-game series on the road against Ohio State over the weekend. First pitch in Omaha is set for 6:30 p.m.