National Signing Day Frost

Nebraska football coach Scott Frost jokes with media members during his press conference at Memorial Stadium on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska head coach Scott Frost spoke on Wednesday about the incoming recruiting class as well as winter conditioning.

With Wednesday being National Signing Day, there were many commitments including one to the Huskers.

Wide receiver Demariyon Houston out of Oklahoma City committed to the Huskers Wednesday morning.

“First thing is we really liked him as a person,” Frost said. “Demariyon [Houston] is a kid that can really run. Our offense as long as I’ve been in it has been really successful and dangerous when we have a bunch of people who are weapons and can do a lot with the ball in their hands.”

He is the third wide receiver commit in this class, joining Jamie Nance and Darien Chase. Houston is one of two players who officially committed to the Huskers after the first National Signing Day.

Safety Noa Pola-Gates was the other, although he was a commit for much longer. Frost said Pola-Gates had been silently committed to the Huskers since December, but wanted to commit officially at the Polynesian Bowl on Jan. 19.

“He’s a dynamic playmaker,” Frost said of Pola-Gates. “[I] love that we’re adding more speed. I like the attitudes we’re adding, I like the toughness we’re adding and Noa [Pola-Gates] is certainly a part of that.

Although the Huskers only have two new commits, they added more talent by way of transfers. Graduate transfer and defensive tackle Darrion Daniels chose the Huskers a few days after the early signing period.

He chose Nebraska largely so he could play with his brother, sophomore defensive tackle Damion Daniels. Frost liked Darrion Daniels because he will contribute to the team, but more importantly because of his leadership qualities.

“You don’t become a captain of a team unless you’re a good teammate,” Frost said. “We’re glad to add a piece on our defensive line and I think he’s going to help us.”

Picking up just two new recruits only worked for the Huskers because the coaches got a lot of their work done early in the recruiting cycle.

“In the January recruiting cycle we wanted to look around and take a look, see if we thought anybody fit us and if they did take our best swing at them,” Frost said. “We weren’t going to reach and take guys just to take them.”

While Frost’s second recruitment class has been heavily analyzed, he was also able to bring in 25 walk-ons this class. This large walk-on class shows Frost has a vision for that area of the program.

“We want to grow the roster again, that was one of the secret sauces around here for a long time,” Frost said. “I expect great things out of these walk-ons.”

The 25 walk-ons in this year’s class are an increase from last years class, which had 19.

What Frost liked the most about this incoming class is the character and mentality of every player. From that standpoint, he said he has never been as excited about a class as he is this one.

While recruiting has taken up much of Frost’s and the coaching staff’s time, the team has been plugging away in the weight room.

Last season, the Huskers got big gains from the winter strength and conditioning program. The Huskers may be even better off this year because of the approach many players now have.

“Last year, we had guys that couldn’t even get through workouts, [who] had no idea how hard we wanted them to work and weren’t motivated to do it,” Frost said. “Looking down [from my office] this year, we’re not starting from square one this year, we’re starting from a good spot. [I] love what I see.”

The Huskers are roughly seven months away from the first game of the year, but after today it appears the team has reasons to be optimistic.