s-fbmedia

Scott Frost responds to reporters during the first spring football press conference at Memorial Stadium on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Head coach Scott Frost met with the media for 30 minutes on Tuesday afternoon to discuss the upcoming season for Nebraska football.

During the press conference, Frost announced sophomore running back Maurice Washington would be limited in participation during spring practices.

“I’m troubled anytime anybody that’s involved in our team conducts themselves in a way that sheds a negative light on our team and our university,” Frost said. “We take that seriously...Specifically, we hope we gain a lot more clarity on the matter real soon. To my knowledge, that process is moving along.”

The appearance was Frost’s first since Washington was arrested last month on charges of distributing child pornography and sending “revenge porn,” and he used the opportunity to clarify the matter from his perspective.

“Any time anybody on our team behaves in a way that isn’t consistent with the values of our team or university, they run the risk of losing playing time or putting their status on the team in jeopardy,” he said “To me, it’s important to have complete understanding of the situation before that decision is made.”

Frost said the disciplinary decision will ultimately be made by not just him, but by university administrators as well. He also addressed allegations that he and other administrators knew more about the matter last fall and continued to play Washington anyway.

“I knew very little about this in the fall,” Frost said. “The extent of what we knew was that one of the members of our staff was contacted for an interview by the attorney general of Nebraska. At that time, several of us on the second floor had a relationship with a former attorney general of Nebraska and we contacted him to represent him in that questioning.”

“At that time, all I knew was it was a matter that took place when he was in high school and the impression I was given was that it wasn’t something that would elevate to a level that required any more action by us,” Frost added. He said he didn’t learn of more until January. “I don’t know what anybody could have done differently.”

Frost also spoke about the process he takes in matters like this, emphasizing the need to not overstep any boundaries.

“Any time our players are questioned in any way, it’s our job to step back and let the legal process run its course and cooperate any way we can,” he said. “I don’t think it’s my place to do any investigations, in fact that’s where a lot of people get themselves in trouble.”

As for the rest of the team, Frost said familiarity going into the staff’s second year made spring practice run more smoothly so far.

“It kind of took off from a point that looked like where it left off from the end of fall camp last year,” he said. “The second big difference is just the strength levels of our team.”

Frost said players had gained an average of 100 pounds of strength in their lower body and 50 pounds in their upper body during winter strength training.

The team will resume practices Wednesday morning, and the program will hold its annual pro day on Thursday afternoon.