Walters Press Conference

Nebraska coach Troy Walters speaks to the media after football practice at Hawks Championship Center on Wednesday, October 2, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

Former Nebraska offensive coordinator Troy Walters has been hired by the Cincinnati Bengals as an assistant wide receivers coach, the team announced Monday. 

Walters parted ways with Nebraska in January after spending two seasons as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach. He also held the same positions under head coach Scott Frost at UCF in 2016 and 2017. 

Walters will coach under head coach and former Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor, who has been with the Bengals for two years. Walters played in the NFL for eight seasons with the Colts, Lions and Cardinals, but this will be his first NFL coaching position.

Before UCF and Nebraska, Walters also coached at Colorado, North Carolina State and Texas A&M from 2010 to 2015, having met coach Taylor at Texas A&M. Taylor was a graduate assistant from 2008 to 2011, and Walters was the wide receivers coach in 2010 and 2011. 

Three former Nebraska players are currently on the Bengals roster in tight end Cethan Carter, defensive end Freedom Akinmoladun and wide receiver Stanley Morgan Jr.. Morgan became the first player in Husker history to complete a 1,000-yard receiving season under the coaching of Walters in 2018. 

Nebraska hired Matt Lubick to replace Walters as offensive coordinator.