Nebraska Baseball v. Minnesota Photo 4

Huskers in the dugout cheer as the huskers score 3 points in one go at TD Ameritrade Park, on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, in Omaha, Nebraska.

Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos announced the hiring of Will Bolt as the 24th head coach of the Husker baseball program on Friday. Bolt signed a five-year contract with a $300,000 annual salary.

“Will Bolt has been a winner at every stop he has made as a coach and player, and I am proud to welcome him back to Lincoln as our next head baseball coach,” Moos said in a release. “Will was a part of the most successful teams in the history of our baseball program, and he knows what it takes to win here.”

Bolt has 16 years of coaching experience, including five seasons as an assistant with Nebraska and four years as head coach at Texarkana College.

He will replace Darin Erstad who resigned on June 3 after coaching the Huskers for eight years. Bolt was Nebraska’s Associate Head Coach with Erstad from 2012 to 2014 and was a volunteer assistant on the 2005 Husker team that reached the College World Series.

Bolt played as a standout under Dave Van Horn from 1999-2002 as Nebraska’s baseball program rose to national prominence.

At the end of his Husker playing career, Bolt finished with school records in games played (251), games started (242), at-bats (922), hits (281), doubles (56) and assists (639). He played in the 2001 and 2002 College World Series with Nebraska.

Returning to Lincoln after spending five seasons on the Texas A&M staff, Bolt helped the Aggies reach five straight NCAA regional appearances and the 2017 College World Series.

Unlike Scott Frost, who grew up in Nebraska, or Fred Hoiberg, who was born in Lincoln, Bolt is a native of Conroe, Texas.

“My family and I have the fondest affection for the Huskers and the city of Lincoln,” Bolt said, “and truly cannot wait to become part of the Husker family again!”