Cameron Jurgens

Editor’s Note: This is the second installment in a series of articles from The Daily Nebraskan which will profile the members of the Nebraska football 2018 recruiting class. Each week, The Daily Nebraskan will examine one member of the recruiting class to help inform readers about the incoming group of Husker football student-athletes.

Week 2 Commit: Cameron Jurgens, TE — Beatrice, Nebraska

One of Nebraska’s long-recruited top prospects is staying in his home state, as tight end Cameron Jurgens will join the Huskers in 2018. Hailing from Beatrice, Nebraska, Jurgens was a three-sport athlete at Beatrice High, where he starred in basketball and track and field in addition to football. As a testament to his athleticism, he won all-class gold medals in discus and shot put in both his junior and senior years of high school.

But it wasn’t his discus abilities that prompted Nebraska to offer him a scholarship in June of 2015. He made an immediate impact on the Beatrice High School football team as a freshman, playing in ten games on both sides of the ball. As a linebacker, he made 27 tackles and recovered two fumbles, while also catching 14 passes for 237 yards and three touchdowns.

After the season he was invited to, and attended, two of Nebraska’s summer football camps, where he performed well enough to earn a scholarship offer from the Huskers. After sitting on the offer for two months, Jurgens committed to Nebraska on Aug. 6, 2015, making him the first member of the team’s 2018 recruiting class.

He followed an impressive freshman season with a solid sophomore campaign. He recorded 61 tackles and two sacks, recovered two fumbles and caught 23 passes for 296 yards and five touchdowns.

As a junior, Jurgens continued his role in the heart of Beatrice’s defense, while also gaining a new and improved role on offense. He often operated out of the backfield, running the ball 24 times for 113 yards and a touchdown while also catching 23 passes for 286 yards and three touchdowns, a statline extremely similar to his sophomore year. On defense, though, he nearly doubled his tackle total from the year before, jumping from 41 to 76. He proved to be one of the best players in the state during his junior season and was named to the Omaha World Herald’s All-Nebraska first team and the Lincoln Journal Star’s Super-State first team after the season.

As a senior, injuries lingered for Jurgens, but he still managed to string together an impressive statline in limited action. He recorded only 18 tackles on defense, but had a tremendous year on offense, running for 366 yards and eight touchdowns in addition to catching 18 passes for 299 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Following his senior campaign he was once again named to the All-Nebraska and Super-State first teams.

Jurgens was ranked as a four-star recruit by 247Sports, ESPN and Rivals, with 247Sports ranking him as the sixth best tight end recruit in the country, and the No. 123 recruit overall. After being committed to Nebraska for over two years, he garnered some attention from UCLA, which offered him a scholarship and LSU, where he went on an official visit. Nonetheless, Jurgens stayed true to his word and signed his letter of intent on Dec. 20, 2017. He officially became a Husker.

Despite playing on both sides of the ball in high school, Jurgens will likely begin his Nebraska career as a tight end. Heading into the 2018 season, Nebraska has seven players listed as tight ends on the team’s roster but only sophomore Jack Stoll has seen limited game time. With this in mind, a strong showing at spring practice could elevate Jurgens to the top of the depth chart, and he could contribute immediately.

Assistant Sports Editor