Nebraska Football vs. Illinois Photo No. 2

Maurice Washington (28) runs down the field against Illinois at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

This story was updated at 5:47 p.m. on February 12 to include John C. Ball's statement on Maurice Washington III's self-surrender and at 6:12 p.m. to include Bill Moos' comments.

Maurice Washington III’s attorney, John C. Ball, released a statement on Tuesday announcing his client’s self-surrender.

“This will be a self-surrender, not an arrest,” Ball said in a statement to 1011 NOW.

Ball said the process of bringing Washington to California is ongoing.

“The next steps involve logistics more than anything else — the when and how questions typically involved in the processes.”

Washington is being charged in connection to a video recorded in 2016, depicting the victim, who was 15 at the time, engaging in sexual acts with two male classmates.

"Mr. Washington will continue to be fully cooperative with the authorities in this situation," Ball said in a statement released on Monday. "We are in contact with those authorities, and are in the process of making arrangements to move forward and resolve this matter."

Ball referenced the same video mentioned in the NBC report, citing the event took place several years ago.

"This is a situation involving an inappropriate cell phone video. The allegations are that Mr. Washington sent that video to his high school girlfriend," Ball said. "Mr. Washington did not make the video, nor does he appear in the video."

"Mr. Washington has confidence in our justice system, and knows that he can rely on the fundamental constitutional rights of due process and the presumption of innocence," Ball said.

In a second statement issued Monday night, Ball refuted the allegations against Washington, saying the 19-year-old had nothing to do with the incident. 

"The narrative put forth today is that Mr. Washington used a video as a weapon to re-victimize his former high school girlfriend," Ball said. "That is not true. Without a doubt, Mr. Washington had absolutely nothing to do with that sexual assault."

"The communications between these two young people are yet to be fully determined, and there are additional facts and circumstances that give context and perspective to this situation," he said.

Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos, in a radio interview, said the athletic department is ensuring Washington's cooperation.

"Obviously we’re looking into it every way we can but it’s a legal matter," Moos said. "We want to make sure Maurice is cooperating — which he is. We also want to make sure he knows he has a great deal of support. And then really the legal authorities and the whole system kind of guides it from here on out."

This is a developing story.