Nebraska vs. Purdue Photo No. 2

Defensive lineman Carlos Davis (96) reaches to block a pass by Purdue's David Blough during the matchup at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Defensive line coach Mike Dawson will leave the Nebraska football program for a position on the New York Giants coaching staff, according to a statement from head coach Scott Frost.

“Coach Dawson informed me late last week he had chosen to accept a coaching position with the New York Giants,” Frost said in a statement. “Mike has been a key part of our staff the past three seasons at Nebraska and UCF. He is a man of great character, an outstanding teacher, relates well to players and is a tremendous asset for any coaching staff.”

Dawson coached under Frost for four seasons at both UCF and Nebraska. Before coaching under Frost, Dawson spent three seasons with Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles team as both a defensive quality control coach and assistant defensive line coach.

“When you are fortunate to have outstanding coaches on your staff, they are going to have other opportunities in this profession,” Frost said. “We will miss Coach Dawson, but wish him and his family the best as he takes the next step in his career with the Giants.”