Football recruits Terrell Newby and Delton Williams to make official visits Saturday

By on September 20th, 2012

Nebraska brings a pair of highly touted high school football players to campus for visits this weekend.

Running back recruit Terrell Newby and athlete Delton Williams, both three-star players according to 247Sports, will make official visits for the Idaho State game.

Nebraska recruiting coordinator Ross Els said on Wednesday he is excited for the opportunity to host the players. The game is not one of the season’s best, but Els said it is still an important weekend.

“Well, anytime we get a shot at a guy, get him around the fan support that we have and get him one more time around our coaching staff and our players, it’s usually good,” he said. “We hope it will be a good performance, but we are just glad anytime we can get anybody on campus.”

Newby’s visit on Saturday will be his second to the school. The running back made an unofficial visit back in June and was impressed by the trip.

“It was definitely the people,” he said. “When I went up there last time, I was blown away. The city and the campus was amazing.”

This time around, Newby said he wants to further his relationship with Husker players and coaches, but mostly he is making the trip for another reason.

“I want to see the stadium on a gameday-type atmosphere,” he said. “I’ve met the coaches and some of the players, but I didn’t get to see that gameday feel on my unofficial.”

Aside from the fans, seeing the Husker offense in motion sparks the most interest from Newby. He sees himself as a great fit for the Huskers’ offensive style.

“I love the offense,” he said. “I could be utilized in the same way that Rex (Burkhead) is now. I’m looking forward to that for sure. He catches balls and runs inside and out.”

The Huskers are looking for another back to complement sophomore Ameer Abdullah and the stable of young backs behind him. When Burkhead graduates at the end of the season, Els said an all-around running back is needed to balance the power Nebraska’s other young backs provide.

“If we could continue the speed-type thing that would be good,” Els said. “You’ve got Imani Cross that is a very powerful back, and Mike Marrow could play some power fullback, so we are really looking for a multi-purpose guy at the running back position.”

Newby thinks he fits that mold.

“I combine all the elements of a running back as one,” he said. “I don’t want to say that I just do one particular area of the game.”

The Huskers are in the thick of the Newby race. The running back lists Nebraska, Oregon, Notre Dame and Washington as his top four schools. He also mentioned UCLA as a school he is open to.

“I’m pretty ready to get the process over with and make a decision,” Newby said. “But I realized that I need to take my time and weigh the options to see what school is best for me.”

Williams, who likely projects as a college safety, will make his first visit to Lincoln on Saturday. His other top schools are Michigan State and West Virginia.

sports@

dailynebraskan.com