Volleyball vs. Minnesota - Oct. 6

The Nebraska Huskers volleyball team celebrates scoring a point against the Minnesota Gophers at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

Three members of the Nebraska volleyball team earned AVCA All-American honors on Wednesday.

Senior outside hitter Mikaela Foecke and sophomore middle blocker Lauren Stivrins earned first-team All-American selections, while senior defensive specialist Kenzie Maloney received a third-team All-American selection. Additionally, freshman setter Nicklin Hames was an honorable mention.

The Huskers had two first-team All-Americans for just the second time since 2006. The Huskers have a combined total of 90 All-American selections, the highest number in the NCAA.

This season marks Foecke’s second All-American selection after earning a second-team All-American selection last season. Foecke, a unanimous All-Big Ten selection for the second consecutive year, leads the team in kills per set at 3.8, the highest average for a Husker since Kelsey Robinson’s 4.45 average in 2013.

Foecke ranks third on Nebraska’s all-time kills list with 1,638. She also has 263 career kills in the NCAA Tournament, second only to Sarah Pavan (304) in program history.

She also won the 2018 NCAA Volleyball Senior CLASS Award, voted on by Division I coaches, national volleyball media and fans. The award is given to the most outstanding Division I Volleyball senior student-athlete.

Foecke is the fourth Husker in any sport to win the Senior CLASS Award and is one of two Husker volleyball players to win the award — the other was Gina Mancuso in 2012.

The first-team All-American selection is Stivrins’ first All-American honor. Twice this season, Stivrins was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, and she was the Big Ten Player of the Week once.

Stivrins averages 2.33 kills a set with a team-high .409 hitting percentage. Her hitting percentage is the sixth-highest in the country and is the Huskers’ highest since Tracy Stalls posted a .473 hitting percentage in 2007.

Maloney earned her first All-American selection after leading the team with 4.06 digs per set. She ranks fifth on Nebraska’s all-time digs list with 1,369 and posted a career-best 25 digs in a match twice this year. Maloney has also been a key contributor to the Huskers holding opponents to a .136 hitting percentage.

Hames earned an honorable mention after posting 23 double-doubles this season, a school record. She averages 10.46 assists a set and 3.33 digs a set.