Halftime vs. Oregon

Tre Bryant (18) runs the ball against Oregon on Sept. 9, 2017. Oregon leads Nebraska 42-14 at halftime at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon.

Going into the Huskers’ matchup against the Oregon Ducks on Saturday, Sept. 9, the Vegas betting odds saw Oregon as a 14-point favorite to take down Nebraska.

From the start of the game, those odds seemed to be spot on. The Ducks controlled the ball from the beginning whistle, scoring 14 unanswered points within the first four minutes and 29 seconds of the game.

After that, NU seemed to gain some momentum, but ultimately, the Oregon offense was a dominant force during the first half.

Notable plays from the first quarter:

• (ORE) Oregon takes the ball at the 25-yard line after a touchback. The Ducks immediately pass downfield and score a touchdown on a five-play, 75-yard scoring drive. Oregon leads 7-0.

• (ORE) Tanner Lee attempts to pass downfield to Stanley Morgan Jr., and is intercepted by Oregon’s Tyree Robinson who returns 35 yards to Nebraska’s 20-yard line.

• (ORE) The Ducks score on another five-play scoring drive, moving the ball 20 yards into the end zone. Ducks widen lead to 14-0.

• (NEB) The Huskers move the ball 95 yards downfield over 10 plays, eating up 5:26 off the clock. Tanner Lee completes a touchdown pass to De’Mornay Pierson-El. Oregon leads 14-7 with 3:03 left in the first quarter.

• (ORE) The Ducks move the ball quickly and efficiently 95 yards down the field over eight plays. Royce Freeman runs the ball into the end zone, touchdown Ducks. Oregon leads 21-7. 

Notable plays from the second quarter:

• (NEB) The Huskers move the ball 75 yards over four plays in arguably the best drive of the first half. Touchdown Nebraska. Oregon’s lead narrows to 21-14.

• (ORE) The Ducks take the ball into the end zone again, using three minutes to move 73 yards downfield. After the touchdown, Oregon leads 28-14.

• (ORE) The Ducks take the ball back after NU is forced to punt. Oregon uses the continued momentum to score another touchdown on a 71-yard drive. Oregon leads 35-14.

• (ORE) Oregon continues with its offensive momentum against Nebraska. After intercepting the ball at the Nebraska 34-yard line, Oregon uses three plays to drive straight into the end zone for another touchdown. With 39 seconds on the clock, the Ducks lead 42-14.

• Clock expires, halftime: Oregon 42, Nebraska 14

Other notes:

• Oregon’s defense came out stronger than Nebraska expected, and the Huskers weren’t ready. Two Oregon touchdowns within the first four-and-a-half minutes left the Huskers playing catch-up from the start of the game.

• Tre Bryant had flashes of brilliance that fans saw from him last week, but it was only temporary. He had a few good runs, but nothing compared to the dominance he showed against Arkansas State.

• De’Mornay Pierson-El seemed off his game. He got close to the ball several times, but several incompletions in high-reward situations cost the Huskers big time. He and Tanner Lee will need to get on the same wavelength for the second half if NU wants to be competitive against the Ducks.

Assistant Sports Editor