s-fb-halftime_Tirtadjaja-3.jpg

Running back Tre Bryant (18) runs the ball against Arkansas State on Sept. 2, 2017 at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

During the Huskers’ matchup against Arkansas State, the first half of the game was a back-and-forth matchup.

Nebraska scored first. A 21-yard field goal by Drew Brown with 9:52 on the clock in the first quarter put Nebraska up 3-0 over the Red Wolves.

From there, the two teams traded touchdowns. The first half featured a total of five lead changes in the first quarter alone. Nebraska was able to hold onto the lead for the duration of the second quarter.

When the teams left the field at halftime, the Huskers led the game 27-26.

Notable plays from the first quarter:

• (NU) Drew Brown field goal from 21-yards with 9:52 in the first quarter. Nebraska up 3-0.

• (A-ST) Blaise Taylor returns 63-yard punt for touchdown with 5:07 left in first half. Arkansas State leads 7-3.

• (NU) On the next play, redshirt freshman JD Spielman returns kickoff with a 99-yard run for a Nebraska touchdown. Huskers take back the lead, 10-7 with 4:53 left on the clock.

• (A-ST) Two minutes later, Justice Hansen completes a 29-yard pass for touchdown. Red Wolves reclaim lead 14-10.

• (NU) With 1:10 on the clock, Tanner Lee connects with Stanley Morgan Jr. for a 44-yard touchdown pass. Nebraska takes the lead, 17-14.

Notable plays from the second quarter:

• (NU) Mikale Wilbon carries ball 7 yards into the end zone. Nebraska touchdown with 9:57 on clock. Huskers lead 24-14.

• Especially efficient drive by Nebraska. Eight plays, 91 yards, 3:46 off the clock.

• (NU) Tyrin Ferguson intercepts pass attempt from Arkansas State at the Nebraska 1-yard line.

• (A-ST) Nebraska’s Tre Bryant tackled for loss of one yard into the end zone. Team Safety, Nebraska still leads 24-16.

• (A-ST) Justice Hansen has a short 3-yard pass for a touchdown. Red Wolves close the gap to 24-23 with 3:45 on the clock.

• (NU) Drew Brown kicks a 41-yard field goal, pushing Huskers up 27-23.

• (A-ST) 39-yard field goal from Red Wolves narrows the Huskers’ lead 27-26. 

• Clock expires. Halftime. Huskers lead 27-26.

Other notes:

• New Husker QB Tanner Lee had a solid first half. Not exemplary by any means, but nothing too major to complain about.

• Lee threw 10-for-14 in the first half. With a 71.4 percent pass completion rate, he seems to be a much more consistent passer than Tommy Armstrong Jr. 

• It’s safe to say that passing will be Nebraska’s strong point this season, but the offense has been much more balanced between the running and passing games overall compared to previous years.

• Defensive coordinator Bob Diaco’s 3-4 defense needs to work on playing against screens. Arkansas State was able to spread Nebraska’s defense way too thin, preventing it from being effective. 

Assistant Sports Editor