Nebraska vs. Purdue Photo No. 1

Devine Ozigbo (22) dodges a tackle by Purdue during the game at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Former Nebraska center Tanner Farmer made the extra wait worth the while for NFL scouts, as he wowed spectators with 39 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the school’s pro day on Thursday afternoon.

Farmer, along with the rest of last season’s senior class, had one last chance to impress NFL Scouts in person before the NFL Draft. Wide receiver Stanley Morgan Jr. was the only Husker to receive an invite to last week’s NFL Combine, which certainly left chips on plenty of shoulders.

The event started in the weight room, as each player took their turn on the bench press before doing broad jump and high jump drills. From there, they each ran the 40-yard dash before breaking off for position drills.

Morgan Jr., who clocked in at 4.53 on his 40 yard dash last week, only participated in receiver drills on Thursday. A familiar face was throwing him passes, as Ryker Fyfe returned to help him out. Fyfe was Nebraska’s starting quarterback in the 2016 Music City Bowl.

Farmer’s 39 reps matched the highest total of anyone at last week’s combine, but still fell short of his goal. He said afterwards he was hoping to reach 50, but a torn pectoral muscle last month caused a minor setback in preparation for the event.

“I thought I had a really good day,” Farmer said. “Everything was starting to come together today and I was able to show that.”

As for the combine snub, Farmer said  his parents paid more attention to it than he did, and  he was thankful to have the opportunity he had on Thursday. He also registered a 9-foot-10 broad jump, which would have been the best at the combine.

“It’s huge,” Farmer said. “A lot of teams may overlook you for whatever reasons, maybe because of our record or politics. Even if I thought I deserved to be able to go to the combine I didn’t get to go. Today I was able to show that I deserve to be looked at and I deserve to get a chance at the next level.”

Morgan Jr., meanwhile, is not done with his pre-draft workouts. He said afterwards  he has a scheduled private training session with the New Orleans Saints coming up soon. Morgan Jr. is from New Orleans as well, making the meeting with his hometown team more impactful.

Among other participants in the pro day was running back Devine Ozigbo. After seeing limited playing time earlier in his career, he broke out during his senior season and ran for 1,082 yards and earned an invite to the senior bowl. In the day’s events, he unofficially ran the 40-yard dash between 4.5 and 4.65 seconds, and had 19 reps on the bench press.

Linebacker Dedrick Young also had an impressive showing. He ran his 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds, which would have been sixth-best for linebackers at last week’s combine. He also had the second-best day on the bench press behind Farmer, finishing with 26 reps.

Overall, 12 former Huskers participated in the pro day, along with two former Nebraska-Kearney football players.

Plenty of familiar faces were seen around Hawks Training Center Thursday morning as well. Nearly all of the position coaches were in attendance, as was head coach Scott Frost. Former fullback Tre Foster was also there, supporting his brother Jerald, who participated in the event.

Over 20 current players were also in attendance for support of their former teammates. Gerald Foltz, father of Sam Foltz, was present for the weightlifting portion of the afternoon.

The 12 seniors will have to wait until the NFL Draft on April 25-27 to learn their professional football fates. Nebraska’s current team will continue its spring practice training on Friday, with three more practices next week before spring break.