Nebraska vs. Air Force Photo No. 2

Kyle Perry (19) pitches to Air Force at Hawks Field on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska baseball team rebounded from a disappointing weekend series against Minnesota Tuesday night in Manhattan, Kansas, downing the Kansas State Wildcats 7-0.

Nebraska (14-9, 4-2 Big Ten) wasted no time jumping on Kansas State starting pitcher Joey Martin, tagging the freshman left-hander for four first-inning runs.

The four runs came on one swing, as sophomore center-fielder Jaxon Hallmark drove a ball that fell in front of a diving Zach Kokoska in right field. As the ball bounced over Kokoska and rolled to the fence, Hallmark rounded the bases for a rare inside-the-park grand slam. The home-run was Hallmark’s first of the season and second of his career.

After walking senior Angelo Altavilla on the ensuing at-bat, Martin was pulled after two-thirds innings.

Freshman Kyle Perry only needed one run of support, as the left-hander dominated the Wildcats in his strongest performance of his collegiate career. The Omaha native and Millard South graduate pitched seven strong innings, striking out three batters while allowing three hits. Perry’s dominant performance lowered his ERA to 2.76 and improved his record to 2-0.

The Huskers continued to pile runs on the Wildcats, as sophomore Aaron Palensky picked up his 15th RBI of the season with a double that scored freshman Colby Gomes in the top of the fourth inning.

Sophomore Gunner Hellstrom continued Nebraska’s big inning by driving in senior Alex Henwood to give the Huskers a 6-0 advantage. Palensky scored Nebraska’s final run of the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by sophomore Keegan Watson.

After Perry left the game in the seventh inning, freshmen Bo Blessie and Tyler Martin pitched the eighth and ninth innings to preserve the shutout for the Huskers.

Junior first-baseman Ty Roseberry made his Huskers debut as a pinch hitter in the top of the ninth inning. Roseberry, who transferred from the University of Nebraska-Kearney, laced a single up the middle for his first hit as a Husker.

Despite scoring seven runs, the Huskers could only manage six hits. No Nebraska player had more than one hit, but the Huskers took advantage of Kansas State’s defensive mistakes and made the most of their offensive chances to earn a 7-0 victory.

Nebraska will look to build on the victory when it heads back to Haymarket Park for a three-game series against the Purdue Boilermakers. Game one is on Friday, April 5 at 6:35 p.m.

Sports@dailynebraskan.com