Nebraska vs Bethune-Cookman

Noah Johnson, Senior Sports Editor: Nebraska 49, Bethune-Cookman 21

Husker nation let out a collective sigh of relief on Saturday as Nebraska ended its historic losing streak in a 53-28 thumping to Minnesota.

This gave Scott Frost his first win at his alma mater as a coach, and provided some tangible results for a Husker team that looks like it is starting to turn a corner.

Now the focus shifts to Bethune-Cookman, a game scheduled on what was supposed to be Nebraska’s bye week. With bowl eligibility being very low, this game feels more like an obligation, which could prove to be dangerous for a team which just picked up its first win midway through the season.

Nebraska can’t afford to get complacent and overlook Bethune-Cookman. Even with big games on the horizon against now No. 11 Ohio State, Michigan State and No. 18 Iowa, the Huskers need to approach every game with the same level of focus they brought to the field against Minnesota.

If Nebraska plays Bethune-Cookman the same way it played Minnesota, the Huskers will win. It’s as straightforward as that. Nebraska’s offense is simply too explosive to handle, and Bethune-Cookman quarterback Akevious Williams’ inconsistency under center will likely give the Husker defense the same turnover opportunities it had against Minnesota.

Ben Buchnat, Engagement Editor: Nebraska 73, Bethune-Cookman 28

Nebraska should be riding a momentum high with its first win of the season last week. The Huskers seemed to finally break through, and for the first time in a long time, there is promise in Lincoln.

However, there are some concerns going into this game against Bethune-Cookman. Since this game lands on Nebraska’s former bye week, there is no doubt the Huskers could be tired going into this matchup. Plus, with a looming game against Ohio State next week, it’s easy to see how Nebraska might look past Bethune-Cookman.

Bethune-Cookman clearly has more motivation going into this game, with a chance to shock the Lincoln crowd as a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) team. Their spread offense could nab them some early points if they can get their playmakers in space against Nebraska’s unproven pass defense.

Luckily for Husker fans, the offense is firing on all cylinders and should be able to avoid a close game. Adrian Martinez played like one of the premier quarterbacks in the NCAA last week and the Huskers will roll if that play continues.

Bethune-Cookman will try to get off to a fast start, but Nebraska’s offensive prowess and the talent disparity between the two programs will prevent this game from ever being close. Nebraska will double its win total this week.  

Luke Mullin, Assistant Sports Editor: Nebraska 52, Bethune-Cookman 16

With the crucial first win finally behind them, the Huskers now move on to face their easiest test of the season against FCS foe Bethune-Cookman. The Wildcats are an average team at the FCS level, with a record of 4-4 this season, and are far below Football Bowl Subdivision quality, as shown by a 49-28 loss to Florida Atlantic in September.

Nearly all of the Wildcats’ offense flows through Williams, who is questionable for Saturday’s showdown. If he cannot play, Bethune-Cookman’s already inefficient offense will find it difficult to find much production, and there is no certainty over who will step in as quarterback for the team.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has an explosive freshman quarterback, talented senior running back and duo of dominant wide receivers all coming off tremendous weeks. Nebraska’s up-tempo offense will likely overpower Bethune-Cookman, leaving the Huskers free to give snaps to a wide variety of players in the second half. If Williams can go, the Wildcats will at least put up a fight, but if he can’t, it could be a quick and easy victory for the Huskers.