Coach Darin Erstad

Nebraska Head Baseball Coach Darin Erstad resigned from his position on Monday afternoon, per a university release.

One day following the conclusion of his eighth season at the helm of the program, Erstad said the decision was made so that he could spend more time with his family.

“I have made the extremely difficult decision to step away from coaching,” Erstad said in the statement. “I love this team. I love our staff and I love Nebraska. The bottom line is I do not want to miss seeing our kids grow up. I want to thank our administration and academic staff for all of their support over the last eight years. GBR forever.”

Just one week after voicing his support for Erstad at multiple events across the state, Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said he supported this decision as well.

“Darin earned the right to lead this baseball program well into the future, and I was hopeful that would be the case,” Moos said. “Darin loved the opportunity to represent Nebraska every day and did an outstanding job. He’s a Nebraska guy who loves this program and is a proven winner. With all that said, I respect and admire that Darin’s priority now is to spend more time with his family as his children grow up.”

Erstad finished with a record of 267-193-1. He led the Huskers to a Big Ten regular-season title in 2017 and reached the Big Ten tournament championship game in 2013, 2014 and 2019. He also led Nebraska to four NCAA Tournament appearances.

Erstad was an alumnus of Nebraska, earning Big Eight Co-Player of the Year in 1995 on Nebraska’s baseball team while also starting at punter on the 1994 national champion football team. He averaged 42.6 yards per punt, 14th in the nation.

Following his collegiate career, he was drafted No. 1 overall in the 1995 MLB Draft by the Anaheim Angels. During his 11 seasons with the franchise, Erstad won Gold Glove awards in 2000, 2002 and 2004. He also made the American League All-Star team in 1998 and 2000, and won a World Series championship with the Angels in 2002.

After playing one season for the Chicago White Sox and two for the Houston Astros, Erstad retired from baseball in June of 2010.

One month later, he was hired by Nebraska as a hitting coach for the team. One year later, he was named head coach of the team following the firing of Mike Anderson. In eight seasons at the helm, Erstad made the Big Ten Tournament seven times.

After finishing in 10th place in 2018 with a 24-28 record, the Huskers rebounded in 2019 with a 32-24 record good for third place in the conference. Nebraska reached the Big Ten tournament championship but fell to Ohio State.

After winning their NCAA Regional opener for the first time under Erstad, the Huskers led 5-0 against regional host Oklahoma State through three innings on Saturday night. That lead shrunk to just two by the ninth inning, when the Huskers were one out away from playing for a regional championship before Oklahoma State outfielder Trevor Boone hit a three-run home run to take a 6-5 lead. It was the only time this season that Nebraska lost after leading through eight innings.

Nebraska’s season would end 12 hours later on Sunday afternoon with a 16-1 loss against UConn.

Erstad and his wife Jessica have three children. No press conference has been set by Nebraska yet.