Basketball: Nebraska vs. Penn State

Jordy Tshimanga (32) blocks Josh Reaves' (23) shot during the game against Penn State on Feb. 25, 2018, at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

After requesting a release from his scholarship on Thursday night from head coach Tim Miles, junior Jordy Tshimanga is transferring from the Nebraska men’s basketball team.

“The University of Nebraska and our program wish Jordy and his family the best,” Miles said.

The 6-foot-11 center from Montreal, Canada, started in 18 games and averaged 13.6 minutes per game last season for the Huskers. He also averaged 4.0 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season.

In his two seasons with the program, Tshimanga played in 62 games and started in 27 for the Huskers. He averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds-per-game, while totaling 29 blocks during his time at Nebraska.

Tshimanga was a valuable inside presence for the Huskers during his sophomore year. He helped Nebraska obtain a 22-11 record and a fourth-place finish in the Big Ten last season.

Despite his value, Tshimanga’s status with the team always seemed uncertain after he didn't travel with the team for a road game against Penn State in January. He eventually returned after a five-day leave of absence.

Tshimanga came to the program as a freshman during the 2016-17 season. He was recruited by former Nebraska assistant coach Kenya Hunter, who left this past April to be an assistant at the University of Connecticut under head coach Dan Hurley as he enters his first season with the Huskies.

Tshimanga’s transfer leaves Nebraska with 11 scholarship players and occurs a year after four players left the program after a 12-19 finish to the 2016-17 season.