Sports Sig

Head coach Mark Hankins announced Wednesday that former national coach of the year Brett Balak will be a new assistant coach for the Huskers men’s golf team. 

Balak was formerly the head coach of Nebraska Wesleyan for 19 seasons, where he led the Prairie Wolves to 14 conference crowns, nine conference championships and the school’s only national title. He was also named the GCAA Dave Williams National Coach of the Year and the Omaha World-Herald State College Coach of the Year. Balak retired in 2013 but now will return to assist Hankins in the upcoming season.

“I love Nebraska. I love college golf,” Balak said. “It’s just a great opportunity to work for one of the best college coaches in the nation. I can’t wait to go to work.”

The Huskers tee off their season this Saturday in North Carolina, where they will be competing against 12 other teams, which include Duke, Louisville, Princeton and conference foe Penn State.

“We are excited to have coach Balak join our team and look forward to his impact as an assistant coach for Husker men’s golf,” Hankins said. “We were impressed with Brett’s coaching resume, accomplishments as a head coach, his knowledge and connections to the region and his obvious passion for Nebraska golf.”

This is Hankins’ second year as head coach and with a legend like Balak at his side, the season is looking bright for men’s golf.