callahan

Former Husker football Head Coach Bill Callahan became interim head coach of the Washington Redskins following the firing of former Head Coach Jay Gruden early Monday. This will be Callahan’s second position leading an NFL team. 

Callahan led the Oakland Raiders from 2002 until 2003, even taking the team to Super Bowl XXXVII, but after being fired in Oakland became the head coach of Nebraska in 2004. Callahan’s first season in 2004 marked Nebraska’s first losing season in over 40 years. Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne fired Callahan in 2007 after he led the Huskers to a 5-7 record.

Since his time away from Nebraska, Callahan has perused the NFL coaching scene, taking roles as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach for the New York Jets from 2008 to 2011 and as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 2012 to 2014.  Following his time at New York, Callahan served as the offensive line coach of Washington from 2015 to 2017, when he was promoted to assistant head football coach. Callahan has not led a team since his three-year head coaching run at Nebraska.

Callahan is taking over the Redskins after the team’s first five games ended in five losses.