baseball power rankings

Another week of Big Ten baseball is in the books. Indiana remains consistent as the No. 1 team in the conference, while Michigan continues to win and Nebraska falls to No. 10 after a pair of losses.

1. Indiana (22-6, 3-2 Big Ten) Last Week: No. 1

The Hoosiers continued their dominance of the Big Ten last week, winning two of three games against Purdue over the weekend. The Boilermakers won the first game of the series 4-2, but Indiana responded with 14-1 and 7-5 victories. The Hoosiers continue to rank at No. 10 nationally, and have games against Indiana State on Tuesday and Northwestern over the weekend up next.

2. Minnesota (21-10, 5-1) Last Week: No. 2

Minnesota extended its winning streak to five-straight games with a three-game sweep of Penn State over the weekend. The Golden Gopher offense flourished against the Nittany Lions, scoring 32 runs in three games. Minnesota will play North Dakota State on Tuesday and Purdue next.

3. Michigan (19-11, 6-0) Last Week: No. 5

The Wolverines are the hottest team in the country right now and simply cannot lose. Michigan swept Northwestern this weekend, allowing only three runs in three games. With the series win, Michigan extended its winning streak to 15 consecutive games and will look to keep it going against Maryland this week.

4. Illinois (19-8, 6-3) Last Week: No. 4

Illinois rebounded from a series loss to Iowa, winning two of three games against Maryland over the weekend. The Illini split a doubleheader on Friday but secured the series win with a 4-2 victory on Sunday. Illinois has home games against Illinois State on Tuesday and Rutgers this weekend.

5. Iowa (19-10, 5-3) Last Week: No. 6

The Hawkeyes continued their strong start to Big Ten play with a series win over Ohio State this weekend. They beat Grand View 4-2 on Wednesday before losing the first game of their series with the Buckeyes, 2-1. Iowa then responded with 9-5 and 2-1 wins. The Hawkeyes are on the road all week, first at Bradley on Tuesday then at Nebraska for a three-game series.

6. Ohio State (20-10, 3-3) Last Week: No. 3

The Buckeyes traveled to take on Iowa over the weekend and returned home without the series win, only winning one of three games against the Hawkeyes. Next up for the team is a home game against Ohio on Tuesday and a series at Penn State this weekend.

7. Rutgers (17-11, 4-2) Last Week: No. 7

Rutgers had a week off from Big Ten action, as they took on A-10 foe La Salle instead. The Scarlet Knights won two games against the Explorers by a combined margin of 22-4, but were shut out in a 1-0 loss. They play Lafayette on Wednesday and Illinois over the weekend next.

8. Purdue (15-12, 4-2) Last Week: No. 8

The Boilermakers extended their winning streak to six consecutive games with a win over Indiana in their series opener. The Hoosiers then managed to beat Purdue in the series’ next two games. Purdue will hope to convert that into momentum against Minnesota this week.

9. Maryland (15-17, 3-3) Last Week: No. 10

Maryland lost 6-3 to William & Mary in a midweek game and dropped another game to Illinois before beating the Illini 7-1 before losing the rubber match 4-2. Next up is James Madison on Tuesday and Michigan this weekend.

10. Nebraska (14-16, 2-6) Last Week: No. 9

Following an up-and-down nonconference schedule, Big Ten play has been nothing short of a disaster for the Huskers. Lowly Michigan State beat Nebraska twice last weekend, blowing out the Huskers 17-5 in one of the games. The Huskers would have fallen out of the rankings if any of the Big Ten’s three worst teams in Michigan State (9-19), Northwestern (8-17) and Penn State (7-18) improved their performance at all. Nebraska has games against Kansas State, UNO and Rutgers up next.