Lindsey Moore plays final home game of historic career

• 0

Lindsey Moore ran onto the court for the first time with one thing on her mind: Don’t fall.

The lone freshman on the starting squad of the 2009-2010 team, Moore sat patiently on the black plastic cushy seats waiting for her name to be called for the first time in an exhibition game against Pittsburgh State on Nov. 3, 2009.

“If you’re going to trip, do it running to the locker room or something but don’t do it right now,” Moore thought to herself.

She didn’t fall then. In fact, Moore hardly ever fell during her four-year career at Nebraska.

The senior led that 2009 team to Nebraska’s first unbeaten regular season, including 30-straight wins. She took them to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament, and her success from there only grew.

Sunday, Moore started her 127th-straight game for Nebraska. It was a school record. It was also her last time at home.

The senior capped off her career with a 82-67 loss to Penn State in their home finale. Moore finished with a team-high 23 points and two assists.

The loss kept Nebraska from having a share of the Big Ten title and kept the Huskers at No. 2 in the Big Ten. Though confetti and balloons stood motionless in the rafters, fans stuck around after the game to celebrate anyway. They stuck around to see Moore and fellow senior Meghin Williams be honored during their senior night, and saw Nebraska coach Connie Yori call Moore “the consummate competitor.”

“We’d like to have her back for four more years,” Yori said. “Her knowledge and her vision of the game is far superior to most kids that you coach.”

Who wouldn’t want Moore on their team? Thirty-six accolades and accomplishments gleam from her resume that is likely to lead to a top 10 pick in the upcoming WNBA draft. Moore won more games at the Bob Devaney Sports Center than any basketball player in history, and has won more in a Nebraska jersey than anyone else (91 times). She recorded the programs first triple-double with 12 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assist on Jan. 2, two years ago. She’s played more minutes than any other Husker in history (4,039) and is on the The Naismith Award ballot, given to the best player in women’s college basketball.

But the accomplishments aren’t what matter to Moore. What matters is the fan support throughout. When talking about fans in her speech and in the post game press conference, Moore choked up.

“I honestly believe that our fans are the best in college basketball,” Moore said. “There’s no feeling like walking out onto the court and see’s fans up to the rafters.”

The past four years have flown by for Moore, who isn’t looking at the end of the season yet with the Big Ten and NCAA Tournament ahead.

“There’s not even a way to describe how fast it goes until you’re sitting here and realizing you only have a couple more games left and time just slipped,” Moore said in a press conference Wednesday.

But time caught up with her Sunday.

She ran off of the court for the last time after the loss, covered in a blanket of emotions.

“I was sad, I was upset, but I was so happy,” Moore said. “I’ve loved my time here, playing for Nebraska and I would definitely go back and do it over. I’ve really embraced the people here that have made this experience so memorable, and I don’t think I would have had that experience anywhere else. I was so overcome with emotion because how excited I was to have played for them.”

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.

Post a comment

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

Useful Links

Jazz Supporters

These Lincoln businesses cater to Jazz in June fans.

Sponsored content.

Newsletters