Kayla Banwarth

Nebraska volleyball assistant coach Kayla Banwarth was awarded the AVCA Thirty Under 30 award on Wednesday afternoon.

Every year, the NCAA awards 30 up-and-coming coaches who are under the age of 30. Banwarth was one of 11 female coaches selected for this award.

In her second year under John Cook, Banwarth helped guide the Huskers to another national championship appearance. Thanks to her work with the liberos and passers, the Huskers finished third in the nation in opponent-hitting percentage. Senior libero Kenzie Maloney was named to the third team All-American team as well as the All-NCAA Tournament team.

In 2017, she helped setter Kelly Hunter have one of the best seasons in Nebraska history, as Hunter was a first-team All-American, Big Ten Setter of the Year and the co-Most Outstanding Player in the NCAA Championships.

This is not Banwarth’s first time being around the program. She ended her career second on the all-time digs leader’s chart at Nebraska while also holding the record for most digs in a match with 32.

After she finished her college career in 2010, Banwarth won a bronze medal with the U.S. National Team in 2012 before ending her career in 2016 at the Rio De Janeiro Olympics.

Banwarth began her coaching career at Pepperdine with the men’s team before coming to Nebraska in 2017.