Alex Henery's record-breaking 57-yard field goal in the final minutes against Colorado is something many Nebraska football fans will likely remember for a long time.

But somebody might need to remind the sophomore place-kicker from Omaha what it was like.

"Going up there, all I remember is hitting the ball," Henery said.

"I don't remember much after that. I don't remember watching it go through at all. I was pretty sure I made it. I hit the ball really well."

It's doubtful that many people predicted Friday's game between Colorado and Nebraska would be decided by a kicker, but Henery's mid-field launch put Nebraska up for good at 33-31.

That lead was stretched to the final score of 40-31 after junior defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh returned an interception for a touchdown.

Henery said it hadn't really set in that he kicked one of the most crucial and memorable kicks in recent memory.

The most recent game-winning kick before Henery's was three years ago when former Husker Jordan Congdon knocked in a 40-yard field goal in the closing moments to beat Kansas State 27-25 on Senior Day in Lincoln.

Although the player who kicked the ball couldn't remember much from Friday's game-winning play, several players said it will be hard to forget what they were doing when that ball went through the uprights.

"I kind of got a seat behind him to tell and gauge," NU senior quarterback Joe Ganz said.

"As soon as he kicked it, I thought it was in. As it got close to the crossbar, I held my breath. Once I saw it clear that crossbar, it was unbelievable. It was an unbelievable kick by Alex."

Senior receiver Nate Swift shared Ganz's sentiment on Henery's kick.

"That was crazy," Swift said. "I knew he had the leg, but with us calling a timeout, who knew what was going through his head. It was great to see him come through with that kick."

Both Ganz and Swift agreed they couldn't have asked for a better way to go out on their final day at Memorial Stadium.

The decision to kick the ball wasn't always certain, however.

Ganz was sacked for a 15-yard loss on second down, which eventually put the Huskers in the fourth-and-long situation. Pelini called a timeout, then approached Henery.

"He came to me, and then I was a little iffy on the yardage, and I knew it was a long way," Henery said. "He talked to me, and then he walked away, but then he came back, and that's when I knew I had to be confident."

Nebraska senior receiver Todd Peterson said he knew there was a tremendous amount of pressure riding on Henery's shoulders, but the soon-to-be departing senior said his favorite player on the team has never changed.

"I've been saying it all year, Alex Henery is my favorite player on this team," Peterson said. "He's consistent. We were there at 4th-and-25, (and coach) asked Henery if he could hit it and he said ‘I've been hitting it pretty good today, Coach.'

"That is big-time to hit that, on Senior Day, for all of us."

Pelini said he knows Henery is a crucial part of his football team.

"He cleared it pretty good," Pelini said. "Obviously he hit it well. It doesn't surprise me, the guy's a stud. He's been doing it since he got here. He's just made kick after kick, and I'm glad he's on our team."

spencerschubert@dailynebraskan.com