Husker volleyball falls short in 5-game set against Texas Longhorns

By on September 23rd, 2013

The No. 6 Texas Longhorns outlasted No. 12 Nebraska in five sets Sunday by a score of 20-25, 25-19, 27-25, 21-25, 15-12. It was the first match the Huskers played five sets this season.

The match started out in a tight battle in front of the 4,213 fans in attendance. The score was tied 11 times in the first game.

Neither team seemed to gain an advantage until the score was 18-18. Junior Mary Pollmiller recorded the Huskers’ first service ace of the match and jump-started the Nebraska offense.

In the final points of the first game, senior Kelsey Robinson notched three kills to lead the Huskers to take an early lead against the Longhorns.

Robinson led the Huskers’ attack with six kills, and freshman Amber Rolfzen contributed four kills. Everyone struggled on the serve in the first set, with both teams making three service errors.

The close match continued into the start of the second set, as the Huskers managed to hold a slim lead against the Longhorns until the score was at 13-11, Huskers. Then, a kill and two consecutive double-blocks by the Longhorns gave Texas the 14-13 lead.

After adding two consecutive double-blocks later in the set, the Longhorns went on to win the game 25-19. The Texas attack was led by senior Bailey Webster, who recorded seven kills after two sets. The Longhorns also tallied six blocks in the set, with junior Khat Bell recording two blocks.

The teams entered the third set, the closest set of the match, tied at a game apiece.

The Longhorns had the advantage late in the game by rallying behind junior Haley Eckerman. The outside hitter recorded two kills to give the Longhorns the lead at 24-21.

The Huskers responded with three straight kills, two by sophomore Meghan Haggerty and one by freshman Kadie Rolfzen, to tie the game at 24.

After a service error by Robinson, the Huskers managed to tie the score back up at 25 with a kill from Kadie Rolfzen.

Just as Eckerman did a few points before, she took over and notched two consecutive kills to give the Longhorns the set.

With Texas up in the fourth set 11-10, the next three points were a Texas service error, a service ace by Amber Rolfzen and an attacking error by the Longhorns, which helped swing the momentum to the Huskers.

Later in the set, Robinson would record three of her eight kills in the set in the final five points of the game.

The Huskers won the fourth 25-21 and forced a fifth set.

The fifth set was no different from the rest of the games, as the score was tied five times before there was a media timeout, when the Longhorns led 8-7.

Texas came out of the timeout and got a kill from Eckerman and an attacking error from Kadie Rolfzen to increase the lead to three points.

The Huskers started to cut into the lead, but a third service error in the set gave the Longhorns an advantage. Texas jumped to a 14-10 lead and held on to win the set 15-12.

The Huskers were out-blocked 16-9, but they out-killed and out-dug the Longhorns.

Robinson recorded 26 kills, a match-high, and also earned 23 digs.

The Longhorns attack was led by Webster, who notched 21 kills and five assisted blocks.