NU track and field brings home six event titles at Husker Invite

• Jacy Lewis
  • 0

The Nebraska track and field team returned home to win six event titles Friday and Saturday.

The Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational finished on Saturday after two days of competition that consisted of 24 Division I teams.

On day one, the Huskers led in long jump with wins on both the men’s and women’s side. Patrick Raedler won with a leap of 25-5 1/4, which places him second in the Big Ten and fourth in the nation. Fellow jumper Teddy Lampkin finished fifth in the same event.

On the women’s side, Mara Griva won with a season-best leap of 20-4 1/2, keeping her place as No. 1 in the Big Ten and tied for sixth in the nation. Kari Heck jumped 19-2 3/4 placing her fifth in the meet and seventh in the Big Ten.

In pole vault, Christian Sanderfer recorded a mark of 16-8, placing him third at the meet, and he is tied for eighth in the Big Ten. Anne Martin placed third in the pentathlon with 3,901 points. Jordan Stiens followed in fourth place with 3,827 points.

Katie White placed third in the 5,000-meter run recording a time of 17 minutes, 40.69 seconds. On the men’s side, Trevor Vidlak finished second recording a time of 14:13.62, which places him second of all-time for Nebraska records.

The second day started with the completion of the men’s heptathlon. Teran Walford placed fourth with 5,314 points. Japheth Cato, the defending champion, earned 6,024 points winning the event title.

In men’s shot put, Chad Wright placed third with a throw of 6-7, putting him second in the Big Ten and 10th in the nation. Luke Pinkelman won the event with a mark of 65-2. Veronica Grizzle placed fourth in the women’s shot put with a throw of 51-10 1/2.

Patrick Raedler competed in the men’s triple jump, placing fourth with a jump of 51-7. This jump keeps him at No. 2 in the Big Ten and No. 7 in the country. Janis Leitis finished second with a mark of 52-10 3/4 as he currently holds first place in the Big Ten for the long jump and triple jump.

Nebraska assistant coach Dusty Jonas, a former Nebraska jumper, swooped in for the win, taking the event title with a jump of 7-8. He competed as an unattached athlete and tied for first place in the world, breaking the Husker Invite and Devaney Center records.

Jonas was pleased with how the meet was progressing after his event.

“Pretty well, I have been keeping up mostly with the field events,” Jonas said. “Overall, we are coming out and competing well and getting good results.”

The 600-meter run ended in a duel between Huskers Tommy Brinn and Cody Rush. Brinn came out on top with a time of 1:17.95, while Rush finished second with a time of 1:18. London Hawk placed third recording a time of 1:18.68. Brinn is second in the Big Ten with Rush taking the third spot, and Hawk placed fourth.

On the women’s side, Ellie Grooters placed second with a time of 1:32 seconds. She is currently eighth in the Big Ten. Shawnice Williams came in third with a time of 1:33.04.

Nolan Border won the men’s 800-meter run with a substantial lead recording a time of 1:55.22. On the women’s side, Jelena Andjelkovic finished fifth with a time of 2:12.63 in the 800-meter special.

Jessica Furlan won the women’s mile event title with a time of 4:47.63, she is currently placed 11th in the Big Ten. Conor Gibson placed third in the men’s mile with a time of 4:7.27, keeping his place at 12th in the Big Ten.

In the men’s 400 Ricco Hall placed third with a time of 46.99 seconds, and Levi Gibson came in fourth recording a time of 48.60.

In the men’s 200, Dexter McKenzie placed seconds with a time of 21 seconds, which keeps him first in the Big Ten and tied for ninth in the nation. Tim Thompson came in fifth with a time of 21.44 seconds and is ranked seventh in the Big Ten.

Miles Ukaoma recorded a time of 8.02 seconds and placed sixth in the 60-meter hurdlers.

The Husker 4x400 meter relay teams placed first on the men’s side and fourth on the women’s side. Mila Andric was able to come back from being able to finish in the 60-meter hurdles to help secure the women’s fourth place finish.

“Of course right after the race I was mad and sad,” Andric said. “But then I tried to focus for the relay and calm myself down. So it went pretty well.”

No. 7 Florida and No. 9 Central Florida proved to be the Huskers toughest competition. The Huskers were better prepared to handle the higher level of competition after competing at the Razorback Invitational last weekend, and it showed.

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.

Post a comment

Most Popular

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

Useful Links

Jazz supporters

These businesses support the Daily Nebraskan:

Bryan Health. Visit a doctor online with Bryan Health evisit.

Cengage Learning. 9 out of 10 students go digital don't go back.

TIAA-CREF. Invest in Lipper's best overall large fund company.

Gallup. Now Hiring!

Zing. It's better with Zing.

The View. Lowest apartment rates in the market.

Southeast Community College. Finish what you started at SCC.

N Street Drive In. Discover weekly drink specials.

Biotest. Earn up to $360 this month donating plasma.

Newsletters