NU women’s basketball continues win streak against Ohio State

By Chris Heady on February 15th, 2013

The Nebraska women’s basketball team extended their win streak to seven games Thursday with a 58-39 win over Ohio State. It was their second win over the Buckeyes in two weeks.

Emily Cady had her fourth double-double of the season with 10 points and a career high 16 rebounds, and All-American Candidate Lindsey Moore led the Huskers with 14 points, four assists and eight rebounds.

“It was a really fun game,” Moore said. “We played really hard. That’s one of our first games we’ve played a complete game and played really hard for the complete 40 minutes.”

The first half started with a 6-0 Nebraska lead, highlighted by a no-look high-low passes from Moore to Jordan Hooper.

The Huskers struggled to score from the floor, shooting just 10-31 with only one 3-pointer. Rachel Theriot led the team with nine points in the first half, including five straight to spark a 7-2 run to end the half. Emily Cady led the team with 11 rebounds.

Nebraska also had trouble stopping OSU’s Tayler Hill in the first half. She accounted for 15 of the Buckeyes 21 points, and shot 5-9 from the floor, including one three.

Aside from Hill, Ohio State shot just 3-19, and even with her, the team shot just 28.6 percent from the floor.

Nebraska converted Ohio State’s nine turnovers to 12 points, and went into the half up 25-21.

Nebraska began the second half hot, with six straight points by Halie Sample and Cady. Ohio State counteracted that with four points of their own, only to see the Huskers go on a 14-4 run over the next five minutes, blowing open a 45-29 lead. The run was sparked by a coast to coast drive by Moore, following a charge taken by Theriot on the ensuing defensive possession. According to Moore, Nebraska’s lead extended from rebounding on both ends of the floor.

“We were able to eliminate their second chance points,” Moore, who during the game became Nebraska’s leader in minutes played, said. “We eliminated their second and third chances and their kick outs, we were able to get out and run and execute and push the ball.”

An 8-3 run by Moore after that put the game out of Ohio State’s reach, winning the half 33-18.

Nebraska defensive pressure bothered Ohio State, who turned the ball over 13 times Thursday. Those 13 turnovers turned into 18 Husker points.

“I feel like we’ve gotten more committed to playing hard each possession,” Coach Connie Yori said. “Tonight our effort was really good, not only good, but smart.”

On the offensive side, Hooper, who averaged 24.1 points per game during Nebraska’s win streak prior to this game, was held to just eight points but had 10 rebounds and four assists. She had help from all around though, including nine points from freshman Rachel Theriot and nine points from Tear’a Laudermill.

“We found enough scoring from some of our kids that don’t always score as much,” Yori said.

Nebraska’s seven-game win streak will most likely earn them a Top 25 spot, but Yori doesn’t want her team getting too cocky.

“If you start patting yourself on the back too much, that’s when you start to lose focus,” Yori said.

Moore agrees, it’s all about taking it one game at a time.

“We’re not so focused on the win streak,” Moore said. “We wanna win (the next) game. It’s not just so we can continue our win streak. It’s so that we can win and we can feel good about that win. We just want to be successful and keep winning.”

Nebraska does not play Sunday. Next up for the team is Michigan Thursday in Ann Arbor, Mich.