NU volleyball adjusts for first spring match against USD

• 0

The Nebraska volleyball team plays its first spring match this weekend. The Huskers will take on the South Dakota Coyotes at the NU Coliseum Saturday.

Even though practice has been going on for quite some time, the team is not close to where they want to be. Coach John Cook isn’t expecting to make a major mark this weekend.

“It’s taken us a while to adjust back, but each day we’ve gotten a little better,” he said. “But I’m not expecting us to set the world on fire this week.”

Senior right-side-hitter Morgan Broekhuis had a similar statement to Cook’s. She and the rest of the team just wants to compete.

“I think being our first game, we just want to get out there and get better,” she said. “Everyday we come in the gym, we’re trying to get better. That’s just the same on Saturdays too.”

Broekhuis claims everyone on the team is excited – along with Husker Nation.

“I know we’re all excited, I know Husker Nation is fired up, so I think everyone is,” she said. “The newbies, the new freshman, our transfers – they’re excited to kind of get a feel of what Husker game day is like.”

This Saturday, Cook looks forward to seeing the squad playing in front of a crowd. This game will get the newcomers a chance to show what they have along with it being a situation where the team can get all the nerves and butterflies out of the way. Once they have cooled down, he hopes they will be playing good volleyball by late April.

“I think the biggest thing on Saturday is just to get us back in playing, get us in front of a crowd,” he said. “We have a lot of new players that haven’t been out there much. Now they’re going to go out there and perform. This is great preparation for us to get through the butterflies and nerves and just start working our way back to the end of our season. And hopefully, by the end of April you know, we’re starting to play good volleyball.”

Broekhuis feels this spring season is based on improvement. Yesterday, the squad was finding out what works and what doesn’t work in practice.

“I think it’s a work in progress,” Broekhuis said. “I think all throughout this spring we’re going to be working through things. Today, some things clicked, and some things didn’t. I think that’s going to be an ongoing process throughout our entire indoor season.”

This weekend, she couldn’t say how the Huskers matched up against the Coyotes. She said teams are different when you lose members. As for what the Huskers goal is, it’s to focus on their own team and play the good Nebraska volleyball they’re known for.

“We’re not really sure in the spring,” she said. “People are different teams, they lose what they had in the fall. So I think this game is more about us trying to focus on our side, and if we play good Nebraska volleyball, we should be good.”

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.

Post a comment

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

Useful Links

Jazz supporters

These businesses support the Daily Nebraskan:

Bryan Health. Visit a doctor online with Bryan Health evisit.

Cengage Learning. 9 out of 10 students go digital don't go back.

TIAA-CREF. Invest in Lipper's best overall large fund company.

Gallup. Now Hiring!

Zing. It's better with Zing.

The View. Lowest apartment rates in the market.

Southeast Community College. Finish what you started at SCC.

N Street Drive In. Discover weekly drink specials.

Biotest. Earn up to $360 this month donating plasma.

Newsletters